• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is Schuetzen 4f particularly nasty?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used up the last of my Goex 4f a while back and broke into a new can of Schuetzen 4f for priming. The Schuetzen leaves a hard black residue in the pan upon firing. As in I can’t even wipe it out, I have to scrape it out with my vent pick. I polished the pan and that did not help, the residue still stays stuck. To be fair, I probably use more prime than I really need and may play with reduced priming and see if that helps. Anybody else notice this with Schuetzen 4f?

Well I have used so many priming powder Goex 4F, Gator 4F Swiss NullB and Schuetzen 4F. Maybe I got a bad can but the 1 and only Schuetzen I had got mixed with my Goex and Gator 4F cause it just seemed lazy compared to them. I had plenty of the others I just bought the Schuetzen cause I found a van and wanted to try it. If that’s all ya got it’s better than nothing

I used Schuetzen 4f (as well as my flintlock) for the first time yesterday . After 10 shots, a small amount of fine, light grey powder remained in/around the pan...a light brushing took care of it. No scubbing or scrapping required. I'm a newbie so I have nothing to compare it to.

I have only one thing to compare schuetzen to and that is my own powder. My powder has softer fouling and shoots faster. I think mine smells better also! I have heard folks say that it is dirtier than swiss.

Same here, one shot with schuetzen 3f and the polished pan is covered and it wont wipe out with a dry cloth. When I'm hunting I just make sure the vent is clear and let it ride. I'm new and don't have experience with any other powders.

Schuetzen is a affordable black powder that works though it does fowl more. The best advice I can give while using it is to wipe between every shot. Otherwise you may be surprised to find hard loading after only one shot. According to Dutch Schoultz wiping should be done after every shot for accuracy regardless of powder being used. Obviously high grade Swiss Caviar fouls less than Swiss and so on. Being there’s always some level of fouling it becomes obvious why Dutch Schoultz advocated it.

I have not had to purchase Schuetzen yet, still plenty of regular Goex, Old Ensford, some Swiss, and even Elephant on hand...the only 4F I have regular Goex.
I get that fouling in the pan often, if I don't wipe every 3 or 4 shots (not just the pan but flint too, especially bottom of flint) then it get gets cooked on and will cause misfire and require an alchohol wipe to get it off.

I just wipe after each shot, no problem.
I wonder if priming with 2F or 3F would make for less pan/flint fouling?

I've used it to prime with along with other brands of FFFFg and never seen much of a difference in pan fouling.

Back