• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is it uncool to use Pyrodex?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't really like Pyrodex. I never have, BUT when it was free, or when it was all I could get, I used it. I've also used Triple 7. Both have idiosyncrasies I had to deal with, so I developed "tricks", like putting seven grains of 3f black powder down the bore ahead of the substitute BP charge, cleaning immediately after using Pyrodex, dealing with the crud ring Triple 7 makes. Some day, somebody will come up with something else that has all the performance characteristics of black powder but none of the drawbacks. i suppose if that is all that is available, I will start using it.

If you are shooting a flintlock, it won't work. If you are shooting a traditional caplock, it might work.... perhaps with some adjustments. If you got an inline, it'll probably work just fine, ditto with an underhammer gun.

Is Pyrodex uncool? Who cares?! If it works for you, go ahead and use it. I have long "sat" at the "uncool" table. The cool kids became yuppies and do not know which way to point a muzzleloader and probably never saw one. None of them would be able to find their way around my smithy or even do simple woodworking to make a functional table.

Jesus, Galileo, Da Vinci, Einstein and Hawking never sat with the cool kids. i figure us uncool ones are in good company.

I use whatever I feel like using to make my guns go bang and put holes in paper, ring steel , smack rocks or hit clays.

I have a Pedersoli .58 CS Richmond that gets 777 exclusively, and I use a 209 Primer adapter in it. And it's exceptionally accurate.

I use Pyrodex in some of my percussion revolvers to save Holy Black here and there

Sometimes I feel like being a "purist " and I'll use real 2f or 3f to roll some .58 Minie paper cartridges for my Parker-Hale Enfields.

Until someone starts paying for my components , sending me free firearms or I get cases of Goex dropped off for free, I'll use whatever I want

These guys "snorting " at Pyrodex are probably making monetized content and are sponsored by Schuetzen or something, and they need to bash Hogden on YouTube to keep getting paid

Take what these internet clowns say with a grain of salt

I'm about to experiment with shooting .680 shotgun slugs through my .69 smoothbore musket with Triple 7.

I love Triple 7, it burns clean and in most rifles a #11 cap will light it off.

My CS Richmond shoots better than I can with 777 and .577 Minies. I will continue to use 777 and buy more of it.

Holy Black and the subs both have a home in my powder storage area. I'm not a huge Pyrodex guy but if I see it cheap I'll burn it in my revolvers. I don't use it in rifles anymore but my T/C's used to get tons of it in years past

I have 2 fresh cans of Pyrodex Select that I bought a year ago so I may as well use it.

My main gripe with Pyrodex is that it seems dirtier than real Black and it clogs up flash channels in side locks

777 almost burns like smokeless

Last edited:
In this day and age use what you can get, BlackPowder is still considered an Explosive, so many stores will not sell it because of the insurance liability. Like it was said before, if it goes Bang who cares.

What will happen to BP in 2024 when you have to fill out a 4473 to buy regular ammo?

In this day and age use what you can get, BlackPowder is still considered an Explosive, so many stores will not sell it because of the insurance liability. Like it was said before, if it goes Bang who cares.

What will happen to BP in 2024 when you have to fill out a 4473 to buy regular ammo?
Those that are intelligent will stock up before 2024....those that don't will be doing what they are doing today! Asking why they can't find powder, caps, ammo, primers, kit guns, ML's!

If the "subs" are exempt from being considered Ammunition then producing BP subs will become a thriving industry

Will real BP be exempt from any ammunition restrictions ? If the Govt regulates smokeless powder and components, BP will surely follow

However, the only chance is that, since muzzleloaders are "non firearms " in most states, Blackpowder may just remain a controlled explosive that you can't store more than 50lb of without a license.

Reactions: TDM
These guys "snorting " at Pyrodex are probably making monetized content and are sponsored by Schuetzen or something, and they need to bash Hogden on YouTube to keep getting paid
I resent that! I bash Pyrodex, but Schuetzen only gifted me 5 lbs of 3F and they said it was "only" because I was a good customer. ;)

(This a joke for those that wonder.)

Last edited:
What's this "4473 for ammo purchase in 2024"? I'm fairly well versed in firearm law and upcoming changes and current litigation. Sometimes proposed changes to law slips by me. That said, I have heard no rumors in reference to this on a Federal level till today. Was this meant as a joke and my sarcasm meter is just broken today?

as stated it all comes down to cleaning, no matter what you use. so why the problem with what is used in the gun?
All powders are corosive to some degree but what ever you use get it out! If it isn't there it can't do any harm.

What's this "4473 for ammo purchase in 2024"? I'm fairly well versed in firearm law and upcoming changes and current litigation. Sometimes proposed changes to law slips by me. That said, I have heard no rumors in reference to this on a Federal level till today. Was this meant as a joke and my sarcasm meter is just broken today?
The new 4473 coming out in Feb. has a section for "kit" guns, this includes BP kits according to the ATF, Firearm retailers must now use the letters PMF when recording the transfer or acceptance of privately made firearms. The new 4473 announcement states, “Any firearm, received by a FFL, that was privately made (not manufactured by another licensee) must now be recorded on the ATF Form 4473. ‘Privately Made Firearm (PMF)’ has been added to item 1, Section A. It now reads: ‘Manufacturer and Importer, if any or Privately made firearm (PMF) (If the manufacturer and importer are both different, include both).’” There are other changes and FFLs should visit the above-linked web page for full details.

Other amendments being considered are the requirment to fill out a form 4473 to take possession of ammunition used in assault style rifles.
( i am sure it will include all ammo), This will be introduced in Oct. 2023 to come into effect in early 2024, says the institute for legislative action. As you saw with obama's proposed ammo ban, all they have to do is propose it, to make it happen.

enjoy.

in reality, if you repackaged it in a goex bp bottle and used it at a range 90% of the stuffed shirts(me) wouldn't recognize any difference in the report of smoke cloud.
there, i feel better telling the truth!
Your sinuses must be plugged up, if you cannot smell the difference between the 2, as the smoke slowly clears.

Pyrodex, but only in a powder shortage / pinch.

Last edited:
The new 4473 coming out in Feb. has a section for "kit" guns, this includes BP kits according to the ATF, Firearm retailers must now use the letters PMF when recording the transfer or acceptance of privately made firearms. The new 4473 announcement states, “Any firearm, received by a FFL, that was privately made (not manufactured by another licensee) must now be recorded on the ATF Form 4473. ‘Privately Made Firearm (PMF)’ has been added to item 1, Section A. It now reads: ‘Manufacturer and Importer, if any or Privately made firearm (PMF) (If the manufacturer and importer are both different, include both).’” There are other changes and FFLs should visit the above-linked web page for full details.

Other amendments being considered are the requirment to fill out a form 4473 to take possession of ammunition used in assault style rifles.
( i am sure it will include all ammo), This will be introduced in Oct. 2023 to come into effect in early 2024, says the institute for legislative action. As you saw with obama's proposed ammo ban, all they have to do is propose it, to make it happen.

enjoy.
Thanks.

I resent that! I bash Pyrodex, but Schuetzen only gifted me 5 lbs of 3F and they said it was "only" because I was a good customer. ;)

(This a joke for those that wonder.)
If Schuetzen hooked me up with free powder for life, I'd be an official Schuetzen spokesman.......yes I have a price and it's 10lb of powder per month and I'll bash every other brand . Hopefully the Schuetzen employee assigned to read message boards sees this

• Love
Reactions: TDM
I kind of discriminate among my own gun collection, and I have rifles and pistols that are for Holy Black only and stuff like Italian repros that I'll use subs in.

Pyrodex is relatively cheap , it's like 20-25 a pound for the P or RS so for 200 beans you can sock away 5lbs of Pyro and 1000 CCI #11 caps

I've had no problem with shelf life, I just used up a can of Pyrodex P and 777 3f , both I opened in 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back