• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is it uncool to use Pyrodex?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, i know folks are supposed to drive from Wisconsin to Arkansas to get stinky cruddy black powder.

i detest black powder. Was glad when Pyrodex came out. Many shooters who trash Pyrodex have never fired the stuff.

Well fiddle dee! I guess I’m uncool!

But, I also put peanuts in my Coke. 😄
Reminds me of a Barbara Mandrell song: "I was Country When Country Wasn't Cool" 3rd and 4th verse

I remember circlin' the drive-in
Pullin' up and turnin' down George Jones
I remember when no one was lookin'
I was puttin' peanuts in my Coke
I took a lot of kiddin'
'Cause I never did fit in
Now look at everybody
Tryin' to be what I was then
I was country when country wasn't cool

How many would pay this price per pound?
I wouldn't, but if you know somebody who is willing to buy at that price, please send them my way. I'll take the money and roll it over into some Schuetzen @ about $21 per lb. delivered to my door. The Goex I have is in those classic tin cans with the metal screw cap.

This thread is a well worn road now. But my 2 cents worth, shoot whatever you have available. I have Pyrodex and Triple 7 but they're for things we don't talk about on this forum. But, with all that said, I personally prefer real BP. If you prefer different, more power to you. And I will add that as long as you are willing to make an all day road trip, I doubt there's many that can't find real BP within 5-6 hours of where they live.

Wait…. There’s folks who DON”T put peanuts in their cokes?!? Them folks sound like carpet-bagging Yankees and are definitely not to be trusted!!
1d1e00f6076dee048d4d5708ed8c575e.jpg

I had so much trouble lighting off pyrodex I got dynamite blasting caps from my friend had a special nipple made and they barely ignite the pyrodex
I have one with a patent breech that's pretty much a straight spark path, and it can light 2F Pyrodex using CCI regulars with only tiny hangfires once out of every five or ten.

My other one which is drum-style was getting about 2/5 misfires, 2/5 bad hangfires, and 1/5 either tiny hangfires or good ones when I bought it. Smoothing out the spark channel pretty much doubled the success rate. Finally switching to magnum caps I made it through a whole pack with no hangfires other than the first shot or two when there was still some oil inside.

Used the reenactor powder behind 230 grn. home cast T/C conical. shot off a soft rest at a suspended sheet steel 2ft.x2ft. at 100 yards. 20 rounds were set out....16 made their mark. Used my old faithful T/C new englander with a GOD FORBID Rynite Stock. I heard the gong ring the Guys next to me heard the gong ring...so that,s that. Keep in mind im 62 with glasses and cannot get around the fact my eyes are not what they used to be. Years ago it was a soda can for a target. Guys with modern,s with laser sights were pinging it also. That particular rifle has taken many Deer at varied distances in it,s lifetime using Pyrodex also. Thats my story and im sticking to it. SM
Let's be clear here. You're satisfied with 16 hits out of 20 shots at a 24" square chunk of steel at 100yd.

I'm 64 with astigmatism and wear glasses and that level of performance would have me looking into what's going wrong.

100yds with a beat up Parker Hale musketoon, my cast RCBS Hogdon minies and REAL black powder- 3f Old Eynsford (a Goex product)
musketoongroup1.jpg

Beat me to it.
Back in the 80s and 90s when I was Civ War reenacting Pyrodex was verboten, it was shunned like a leper. But then again BP was cheap and readily available not like today due to the added haz-mat fees. I'm no longer reenacting and I really never had a problem with people using BP substitutes in their firearms outside of events, it was their firearms not mine......... Yes the reenactor in me still cringes at using BP substitutes at events but that's my problem, not anyone else's. Heck I have 7 BP firearms that I have never fired and 5 pounds of powder I've never opened, probably should sell them off as I'm more into unmentionables these days and not the black powder kind other than my 45-70 loads.

Last edited:
Let's be clear here. You're satisfied with 16 hits out of 20 shots at a 24" square chunk of steel at 100yd.

I'm 64 with astigmatism and wear glasses and that level of performance would have me looking into what's going wrong.

100yds with a beat up Parker Hale musketoon, my cast RCBS Hogdon minies and REAL black powder- 3f Old Eynsford (a Goex product)
View attachment 166365
Great shooting, but I don’t understand what that has to do with p vs real.
I’m sure there are a lot of p shooters that take home the ribbon.
When I shoot the fake stuff it’s on a duplex load, my shooting is none to worse for fake

This thread is a well worn road now. But my 2 cents worth, shoot whatever you have available. I have Pyrodex and Triple 7 but they're for things we don't talk about on this forum. But, with all that said, I personally prefer real BP. If you prefer different, more power to you. And I will add that as long as you are willing to make an all day road trip, I doubt there's many that can't find real BP within 5-6 hours of where they live.
A 5 or 6 hour drive is expensive. OK if you have nothing better to do and enjoy the outing. Otherwise it is cheaper to pay the hazmat fee and get a few pounds delivered to your door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back