• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is it too soon for this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No plan,prepare, practice,you can never be to far a head. Good Luck.
Agreed!
You have no guarantee that you will get the tag, but proper preparation is a good bet that if successful in gaining the elk tag, you will have a much better time with the hunt.

It won't hurt your other hunting, either...

LD

Once I knew I was going Antelope hunting I began practicing, even though it was 8-months away. I shot at 100-yards off of sticks standing and sitting at a life-sized antelope picture target. I would shoot just a shot or two at 50-yards offhand. I used the wind-meter and a feather tied to the barrel. I learned how much feather movement equated to MPH and the corresponding windage correction needed in sighting. Closer to the actual hunt, I wore what I thought I'd wear while hunting. Reload with field gear while ducking low as I would in a hunt situation. When the season came, it rained. My clothing changed slightly. The antelope were hard to get close to. My only shot came at 132-yards with a 15 MPH L to R wind. I held my sights accordingly and hit the buck with the first shot. He staggered off. I re-positioned. Re-loaded and snuck in to right at 100-yards. Check the feather, hold accordingly and made a "bullseye" shot that put him down for good. If I hadn't practice continuously, consistently and thoroughly for so long prior to the hunt, it would not have ended well, especially with the curve-ball conditions. You should begin now and increase in seriousness but decrease overall shots taken. If you can show up, kill an elk target at prescribed range - that's all a hunt might be. Re-load and put another in him, maybe from a different angle or distance. It will be worth your effort when the hunt arrives.

The journey of prepping for a hunt is most satisfying to me. Even turkey hunts, let alone big game.

I had been scouting turkeys hard the last several weeks until Wednesday, our opening day. Told my bride the night before that I had seen a gobbler go by my hide at 7:20 that morning. The next morning, I had a gobbler rolling on the ground 15 yards from me at 7:19.

Scouting and preparation are a huge part of this lifestyle to me. Without it, I’d go beserk.

Best of luck, Skychief.

Back