• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is it the gun, or the barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
Reading some recent posts and thinking back to many old ones, here and on other muzzleloader forums, got me to thinking, ouch. A very common, and true, response to inquiries regarding suggested loads for a given barrel, caliber, firearm model, etc. is for most load recommendations to come with caveats that each gun, even between the same maker and model, is different and may/will like different loads.
So? I ask, is it the barrel or the gun that creates these differences in preference between multiple arms that would seemingly be the same? If one were to work up the pinnacle of the perfect load combination for a given muzzleloader and then decide the stock's length of pull really is too long, or short, or the need were to arise to switch from shooting right handed to left handed, and so that barrel/sight combo and maybe the lock, were restocked, would the same ideal load still be the ideal load?

A SIMPLE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION IS THAT THE BARREL IS THE GIUN. ALL THE REST IS PERIPHERAL. ITS FIT TO THE STOCK MAY AFFECT ITS HARMONICS BUT WHAT THE GUN SHOWS YOU IT LIKES IS ALMOST, IF NOT ALL, INWHAT THE BARREL REQUIRES IN THE FIT OF THE BALL AND PATCH TO ITS BORE. THE AMOUNT OF LUBE IT REQUIRES AND THE AMOUNT OF THE POWDER IT REQUIRES TO DI ITS VERY BEST.

I WAS ANAZED TO NOTICE HOW MUCH DIFFERENCE AN INCREASED PATCH THICKNESS OF .005 COULD MAKE ON MY GROUPS.
THE BARREL IS THE GUN.. THE STOCK IS TO HOLD THE BARREL IN A CONSISTENT MANNER AND THE LOCK IS IGNITE THE POWDER CHARGE IN THE BARREL.

DR5X

Reading some recent posts and thinking back to many old ones, here and on other muzzleloader forums, got me to thinking, ouch. A very common, and true, response to inquiries regarding suggested loads for a given barrel, caliber, firearm model, etc. is for most load recommendations to come with caveats that each gun, even between the same maker and model, is different and may/will like different loads.
So? I ask, is it the barrel or the gun that creates these differences in preference between multiple arms that would seemingly be the same? If one were to work up the pinnacle of the perfect load combination for a given muzzleloader and then decide the stock's length of pull really is too long, or short, or the need were to arise to switch from shooting right handed to left handed, and so that barrel/sight combo and maybe the lock, were restocked, would the same ideal load still be the ideal load?

Good question. Maker's loads are all tested with a particular gunpower make & type & a particular ball & patch size. One would have thought that in that case all guns of the same manufacture would perform in the same manner. So, if there are variations, it could come from the bedding to the stock assuming all barrels are the same, or we could be talking about different ball sizes, patch sizes, powder types & grades or even the shooter themselves. There are a lot of variables to be considered.
Keith.

We go to a range and we try different charges patches and ball size. Two guns that are the same like different things... or so it seems. I’ve often wondred how many ‘best loads’ there are for one gun, or if there is just one per gun.

I shoot several smooth and rifled guns, and I'm yet to be convinced that this idea of each gun requiring special workup to shoot accurately is real. Put me down as a serious skeptic, probably a heretical nonbeliever. I suspect it's because my brain was cluttered up with physics at an early age.

Spence

My limited experience with several 50 caliber "hawken" replicas including a TC, a Traditions, and an old Ardesa marked rifle suggest they all will shoot pretty well with similar loads. Now, if it was a barrel with deeper or slower rifling or more length, then I suggest there may be a greater difference in what will make them shoot well. I also think if you want the best accuracy, then each gun probably has a specific load it likes. Does that cover my tail Dutch?

IMO, it is both the barrel and the gun.
The barrels although machined with good accuracy have small differences in them that changes the way they respond to the components loaded into them.
Slight differences in the stock effects how the barrel is located. The fit of the barrel wedge(s) or barrel retaining pins, the fit of the tang or on those guns with quick release tangs and breech plugs to the stock and to each other can all effect how the gun shoots, not to mention the way the trigger releases the lock.
The speed of the lock is another variable.

All of these things working together determine how "accurate" a rifle is and are the reason one gun will like one powder/ball/patch/lube load while another very similar gun will like something different.

Latest posts

Back