• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is it really a 20 gauge?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Hawkeye

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Contemplating buying an older Pedersoli 20 Gauge SxS with the browned barrels. I don't know what it is choked nor does the seller(in another state). So, is it safe to assume it is Cylinder(right) & Modified(left) like the current ones? I have also heard that they are slightly larger diameter bores than the standard .615" & are closer to a 19 gauge & that the larger diameter wads are better suited to these shotguns. Anybody own one of these that could offer any insight?

My double Pedersoli 20 ga. is cylinder and modified, cylinder measures .630".
19 ga. components work great in this barrel, but the other needs 18 ga. to seal right.
Basically, I use 18 gauge cards with this shotgun.
Worth every penny I gave for it!
Depending on the age of the shotgun, there should be a number stamped on the underside of each barrel.
This number will designate the choke.
I also have a 20 ga. trade gun that measures .615, uses standard 20 ga. cards.
It will also use the extra 19 ga.cards I bought...
Buy the shotgun and enjoy the hunt!

Sam A.

Lots of stuff works as wads and it doesn’t come in sizes. You just ram it home. Sans loading a ball a couple of hundredths of an inch won’t matter, and smoothies aren’t as picky about ball size too boot.

My double Pedersoli 20 ga. is cylinder and modified, cylinder measures .630".
19 ga. components work great in this barrel, but the other needs 18 ga. to seal right.
Basically, I use 18 gauge cards with this shotgun.
Worth every penny I gave for it!
Depending on the age of the shotgun, there should be a number stamped on the underside of each barrel.
This number will designate the choke.
I also have a 20 ga. trade gun that measures .615, uses standard 20 ga. cards.
It will also use the extra 19 ga.cards I bought...
Buy the shotgun and enjoy the hunt!

Sam A.
I removed the barrel on my 12 ga brown barrel Pedersoli & the barrels are stamped 0 (right) & 4 (left). They measure .729 & .699, which puts the left barrel halfway between Improved Modified & Full based on todays standard choke specs. Am I correct in assuming Pedersoli #4 would be their Full choke, #3 would be their Improved Modified, & #2 would be their Modified & #1 would be their Improved Cylinder? The seller doesn't have calipers to measure, so I'm going to have him look for the numbers. That tight choke on my 12 ga. is a PIA to load, but great for turkey & ducks. I want to be sure this 20 ga has a more open left barrel choke for more open patterns & ease of loading when dove shooting. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate your help.

Last edited:
I pulled the barrels on my Pedersoli 20 ga to check the choke number markings.
Left and right are marked "4" and "0". I was told this was a modified and cylinder choke.
Right barrel measures .630" and left barrel measures .625".
The both barrels load easy enough with 18 ga. cards.
However, I have only been squirrel hunting with is so far.

Sam A.

I pulled the barrels on my Pedersoli 20 ga to check the choke number markings.
Left and right are marked "4" and "0". I was told this was a modified and cylinder choke.
Right barrel measures .630" and left barrel measures .625".
The both barrels load easy enough with 18 ga. cards.
However, I have only been squirrel hunting with is so far.

Sam A.
Well, so much for my number theory. Seems the more I look into it the more I find that these Pedersoli barrels are all over the map when they are actually measured. They also, I have found, can be out of round. Funny how 0 to 4 on my shotgun measures a .030" difference while yours shows only a .005", which would be halfway between Skeet 1 & Imp. Cyl. for a 20 ga. But, beings it's really a 19 gauge how does measuring it tell us anything. I think QC at Pedersoli depends on how much "Vino" Luigi had the night before. Can't get the seller to answer, so maybe I'll just buy it & ream it out if it's too tight. Don't know if these older brown barreled Pedersoli's were chrome lined or not. Do you know if they are chromed if you can ream them?

Gauges are vague.
Whilst there is a nominal bore measurement per a given guage there can be and is a wide range of actual bores.
I have seen guns marked as 12g range from .710" to .740".
Even stamped choke markings does not necessarily mean a nominal measurement. Again in 12g full choke would nominally be .690" but I have seen many variations either side of .690".

Back