• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

is it ok to store black powder in crawlspace?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm storing my powder and other ammunition in a Schwabb fire rated filing cabinet. Its rated for 1700°F for 1 hour. I have a sprinkler system too, so I'm not too worried about creating a bomb.
I wouldn't have any hesitation storing it in a crawlspace.

Is that a MA law you cited there? Or is it a local ordinance thing? Two pounds of BP isn't a heck of a lot. Two cases of .22 ammo would put you over the limit too. The locked cabinet could, if metal, (like an old refrigerator) become pressurized enough to become a bomb. As stated above, I wouldn't worry too much about a snap inspection of your storage by the authorities. They would have to have a good reason to look at it. We still have the 4th Amendment here in this country.

Of greater concern is how it affects your insurance policy coverage. Most will cover you for your own stupidity, but not if it involves illegal activity, even if it is inadvertent.

Mass law. I got it from the state pro gun outfit Gun Owners Action League. Except for the black powder all the other figures are way higher than I remember! lol

The wife of a friend of mine gave me his supply of BP when he died suddenly. I was wondering if I could use one of those food vacuum sealers to suck out the air in the bag and then seal it up, and put it in a large insulated plastic cooler and bury it in the back yard away from the house. I remember reading Lewis and Clark"s journals and how they used to bury supplies of powder in wooden kegs for the trip home.
I would be careful w/ a vac sealer. I tend to be paranoidly cautious around any explosive. iF you are only sealing the cans, probably OK, but any loose grains and an electrical motor can get exciting quickly, even a small "sealed" motor.

Lewis & Clark carried their powder in sealed lead casks; calculated to match powder to ball volumes.
What I read didn't ,mention how the lead casks were sealed but, guessing, something like molding warm/soft lead over whatever the filling opening was, or molten lead poured in over a cork seal comes to mind. Very carefully, however it was done.

Back