• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is investing in a chronograph a good idea?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a chronograph for years and while I dont think it would be much good for finding the most accurate load it's kind of neat for finding out how fast your most accurate load is going. In other words an unnecessary but nice toy to play with to impress your friends and fellow shooters at the range.

I’m curious about this too. Seems like it would be handy to make some dope tables for long range shooters.

If you’re into what they're designed for they’re a super tool. The changes in velocities just changing a few thousandths in patch thicknesses can give you, and where you get diminishing returns with tight loads velocity wise, etc and how that translates at range. All super info. They will help you better understand the differences in BP grain size and how they compare to one another and why one might be a better choice for your guns application. I guess you could set it up to impress your friends. Show them the app too. That’s pretty dope.

Full disclosure. I have one but don’t use it often anymore. Only so much data it can give you but they’re useful as heck if you like getting in the weeds.

Last edited:
Does it get bits of schmutz and debris on it from the muzzle blast from a BP gun? Patches go smacking into the sensors or anything?

Maybe a tiny bit of Schmutz over time. Very little. You set them up 10-12’ out. I’ve never found any patches laying in front of them like they had smacked it but I’m sure one or two must have. I have one I’ve shot through hundreds of times with BP and it’s taken no damage. I did hear of one guy who busted out his LCD with a wad he used on a RB load. He didn’t think that one through...

I find mine useful, but I reload for unmentionables a lot as well and it tells me where I am at working up a load. Essentially it does the same thing with muzzleloaders when you are working up a load.

If you are a hunter, it'll tell you if you are getting the power (Ft. lbs.) you think you are from a certain combo, which is nice to know.

For a revolver shooter, it can clue you in to discrepancies from chamber to chamber in a cylinder and tip you off to work you may want to look at getting done to improve accuracy.

If you enjoy shooting at longer ranges it can help you dope out the trajectory of your loads and give you an idea as to what changes may give you the most velosicty in balance with your down range accuracy.

So I'll vote yes on them being useful, but not just particularly for accuracy, other than discovering the most consistent velocity loads (which usually are the most accurate) but for a number of other areas as well.

Pat i and Bob have said it all. You find your most accurate load by making changes to the things you can control and knowing the muzzle velocity doesn't help there. I have a Shooting Chrony and I recommend them. They are fun but not necessary at all.

Shooting Chronys offer an optional set of plexi shields to go on the unit to protect against black powder fouling and patches. My very first shot over or rather at the chronograph was a strike dead center on the unit. Fortunately I had the shields installed and I was shooting a Daisy BB gun. :D No damage and then I remembered the instructions saying the sights are above the path of the projectile and be sure to allow clearance for that. BTW the Daisy is extremely consistent at 325 fps.

There was a Roman writing about the time Egyptian water clocks became popular in Rome. He was not impressed. He said words to the effect of what good is a clock, you go to work when it is light, eat when you are hungry and sleep when you are tired and it is dark. Now people run around because the dripping water tells them it is time.
I never have bought one, but have been curious about how fast a ball goes.
It seems like a lot of trouble to to get a number. It ain’t going to make Bambi deader
But....
Boys love their toys. If it looks like it would be fun get it and enjoy it. Because that’s what these smoke poles is all about.

I have had one for years and used it seriously in the load development of unmentionable rifles and handguns. I've only used it with muzzle loaders as a curiousity.

I bought one many years ago and used it for testing powders and lubes to get consistancy. Mine has been on the shelf for the last ten years. Once I found out what I wanted to know it just sits on the shelf.

They are fun, but don't work well after you shoot them:mad:
Indeed, my old Chrony got hit in its plastic face by a lubed felt wad out if my Rigby double at 1500fps- bullet flew correct path.
Went a few years w/o and then bought a Labradar, very pleased. I make my own molds (conicals), so MV is used to help determine the bullets BC.

Actually, you don't really need o know how fast your projectiles are.

OTOH ... I wanted to know, so I bought one several years ago. Whenever I make up a new smokeless load, or get a new muzzleloader, it goes to the range with me.

If you’re into what they're designed for they’re a super tool. The changes in velocities just changing a few thousandths in patch thicknesses can give you, and where you get diminishing returns with tight loads velocity wise, etc and how that translates at range. All super info. They will help you better understand the differences in BP grain size and how they compare to one another and why one might be a better choice for your guns application. I guess you could set it up to impress your friends. Show them the app too. That’s pretty dope.

Full disclosure. I have one but don’t use it often anymore. Only so much data it can give you but they’re useful as heck if you like getting in the weeds.
I have one that is propane powered. Haven’t used it much. If i put a digital rang finder on my .54 it my become useful, can’t say...

I like to use one for archery, I have a shorter draw length and it helps to know how many FPS I'm getting so I can calculate what weight arrow I should build to help ensure I put two holes in elk.
I think one would be useful with a muzzleloader if you want to run lighter charges, bad shoulder, for a kid, etc., so you can calculate energy to still maintain an ethical load.
Also helps the folks that like to shoot way out there for the fun of it to calculate their drop.

Latest posts

Back