• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is glass bedding a good idea for kit guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dixie Gun Works has Brownell's glassbed and Acraglass gel kit for sale with their wood finishing catalog items. I was wondering if it is a good idea to have in case the inletting from the factory kit guns gets too wide and deep.

So are you asking about using Acraglass to correct a mistake?

When it comes to "factory" kit guns, it has been my experience that these tend to be pretty much wood finishing and metal polishing projects. The barrel and the lock, trigger, and other parts come pretty close to pre-fitted..., with the brass sometimes needing polish. The most difficult factory kit that I've encountered was a vintage Jap Bess kit, still in the box, but no directions, and I had to locate and drill the holes for the ramrod thimbles, and polish the brass. So I don't think a factory kit will have you inletting anything at all...., and an Acraglass kit would be unneeded.

Now, it's good to have the kit on the shelf. I've seen factory kits and factory guns get some wicked cracks, and the stuff is good to stabilize those and even to bed the breech/tang area on some muskets, because if the factory has taken too much wood out from the breech, the recoil can cause problems with the wooden stock. The Acraglass bedding of the tang area and the tang bolt hole, seems to do a good job of displacing the recoil as it's taken by the stock, and avoid those problems.

LD

I quit using expensive Acraglass kits 40+ years ago. The resins are over priced and the release agent can be problematic for the avg. gun builder. Used to bed modern rifle actions for my deer rifles , front and rear lugs only. I got the same accuracy out of modern rifles using small squares of thin grocery bags for release agent. Film is film , and light years less expensive. At the same time ,I experimented with store brand quick setting epoxie @ about $10 for two big tubes of hardener and resin. Found it very adequate for bedding , and some of the most awful wood cracking problems on M/l rifle forearms. I've repaired m/l rifles w/ broken wrists w/o Acraglass , and refinished the gun rendering an invisible repair. M/ling rifles w/long angled check cracks in the forearm back through the lock mortise glass bedding the barrel for stability , w/o Acraglass. Oh well , If your stuck w/ Acraglass:dunno: , Good for you , but there's a different way to skin a cat......Just sayin...............oldwood

I agree with Wick...it may not be necessary, but it's not going to hurt.

Some production gun kits have an intentional cutout under the breech end of the barrel. Here's a Pedersoli Blue Ridge as an example. I had a pistol kit (can't remember which production brand it was) that was the same way. I have no idea what inspires an engineer to design in such a feature, but I bed these and fill that cutout.

The picture is the Pedersoli, which was actually a completed gun from the factory I had for years and was completely reworking.

16857610991_574d6aeaa9_5k.jpg

31881276743_82ab4e5dfa_5k.jpg

31881274893_75c1cf525b_5k.jpg

32540814532_2731a2f24f_5k.jpg

I also like to follow the process our own Dave Person uses which is to very lightly coat the entire barrel channel and bed as a sealer/strengthener. I did that on my ToTW fullstock Hawken. Many builders had advised to bed the hooked breech area and I decided to do the whole thing with a very thin "sealer" type coat.

13890481057_b959113a5b_5k.jpg

The short answer is no.

With that said, breech fit is critical for a good rifle. Barrel fit, "not at all".

If you look at many original rifles, they will be fit well at the tang, breech and the first few inches of the breech end of the barrel. They will be fit well at the muzzle and the first few inches of the barrel from the muzzle. In between the barrel channel is often found "hogged out"...most of the time round with just occasional barrel flat contact.
What I'm getting at is the snap fit complete barrel channels is more of a modern concern. With this said, a tight fitting breech and tang is critical.
Epoxy can be used here if breech/tang fit is sloppy.

Latest posts

Back