• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is Getz Barrel Co. Still In Business?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RADeO

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if John Getz is still making barrels? I looked him up on the 'net and called the number listed (570-658-7263), but got a recording saying the number has been disconnected and is no longer in service.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

OK, thanks. I just had a question or two for him. Guess I am out of luck. Such is life.

I ordered 2 barrels. After 3 months he said they were done and dropped off the face of the earth. He answered friends of mine but wouldnt get back to me... had to order barrels from rice. Luckily the barrel I needed for a customer's gun he had in stock the other i waited as expected. Highly recommend not using getz

I think John makes a few here and there for builders he knows and a few for shows. Good guy, been down some roads. Right now it’s iffy whether he’s taking orders.

I returned a barrel to them nine years ago for inspection. I asked to have it replaced and I would pay for it. No reply after the barrel was inspected. No return of the damaged barrel, and no new barrel or billing for a new one. Just dropped out of sight.

John is still taking orders.... but not delivering. I have a friend waiting 3 months with no communication.. he talks a good game tto.unexpected people. Wish I'd have listened to people telling.me to stay away

His son took over the business but slowly ceased operations over the years. I have a Getz 1803 barrel luckily. Getz made some nice round Brown Bess Barrels.

I have a Getz swamped barrel in .50 caliber. It's on my Isaac Haines that I built 20 years ago. Good shooter! Too bad that Dons' son (John?) let the business slide after Dons' passing.

I had never owned a Getz barrel and had always rather wanted one, just because. I recently bought two old ones from a friend, one a lightweight .50 swamped 42" barrel and the other a straight 3/4" .36 barrel that I think I may have turned octagon to round at some point to make a light squirrel rifle with. I'm pretty happy to have gotten them when I did and for a very fair price.

I’ve had several Getz barrels and was always happy with them. I liked Don and John a lot. Really friendly, fun people with a lot of knowledge. I’ve got a .58 swamped Getz barrel in 1:66” twist and it shoots with any barrel I’ve ever owned.
That being said, I prefer barrels with a little choke for ease of loading. Bill Large and Green River Rifle Works barrels (not the same as Green Mountain) are the only ones I know of to be choked a bit and one can only hope to stumble on either.

Someone told me he saw Getz Barrels at the 18th Century Artisans Show in Carlisle a few weeks ago. But I’m not seeing anything on the internet indicating they are fully back in business. Anyone know better?

Back