• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is everyone else ready for hunting season?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have nothing constructive to add but wanted to say that I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. Excellent photos, too! I don't have a single smoothbore in the house right now, but am well along in building a Fusil de Chasse that will likely see use later this season.

Ghost.........Is the GSP on your face page your buddy or someone else"s friend? I have #6 living with me . She is 5 yrs. old and a solid brown ,and her mug is the first thing I see looking down at me in the AM. I get some kisses than outside for the morning pottie. When I retired from 41 yrs. of too much stress , she pulled me out of PTSD. I owe her.......................oldwood

Ghost......... Two of the 6 GSP's I loved , died in my arms , and both asked if it would be ok for them to cross over. Tears here. All were brilliant creatures that made me learn more about dogs than I could imagine. Once you spend time with a GSP , conversation begins. Humans are at a disadvantage , because I'm sure GSP's can read your mind ahead of what's next. I'm blessed with another special girl , just now. Time is short , I must go talk to my girl now. Guaranteed , she will hand over her squeeky ball to throw.........oldwood

Have rotator cuff surgery on the 27th so most of my hunting season is cancelled been dove hunting and hoping to shoot a couple squirrels this week with cooler weather coming in.

Really excited about this year's muzzleloader season. My 16 year old daughter is carrying a flintlock and I'm taking my fusil. I've hunted for years with my dad so to have both with me this year, I'm a blessed man. We all like the late flintlock season.

I have 2 of my rifles ready for the deer season.
One is an old CVA mountain stalker rifle, 26 inch barrel and 1/48" twist. It was kind of a mess when I got it and I spent considerable time getting the barrel back in shape. For some reason, that gun shoots beautiful with 80 grains of 3f Old Ensyford under a Hornady PA conical 240 grain bullet.
That rifle, along with my CVA mountain pistol, 50 caliber.
Same PA conical over 45 grains of 3f Swiss will accompany me in the deer woods.

It has been too hot for me to hunt KS muzzleloader season.

I’ve taken my Brown Bess out on a few squirrel hunts this far, but haven’t hunted deer with it yet.

fingers crossed the weather cools off soon!

I got to try out the bag over the weekend. This setup is sweet to use in the field. 1 5/8 oz of shot is WAY better than 1 ounce. The patterns both tightened % wise, and the higher pellet count made for lethal patterns. I shot two geese, one at about 35 yards, and the other at 40 yards. The 40 yard goose had 2 through the chest into vitals, and one into the head, probably more unseen. That's enough geese for now. I'm going to swap out for #8, and try for doves sometime this week. Saturday is duck opener, and I'll be out with #4 bismuth.

I took the SXS out for duck opener, which was unreal. I messed up slightly, but it sure wasn't for lack of ducks. I ended up with a limit of all greenwing teal. I shot one goose, but it somehow pulled off a death dive, never to be seen again. There were some mallards, which did not commit, and lots of spoonbill right away, but none seen after about 10 minutes. This was the first duck opener I ever did outside of Minnesota, and I couldn't be happier. I heard a couple of shots a few miles away, otherwise I was all alone out there.

I was shooting the same powder charge, about 105 gr, but cut a shot measure for 1 1/2 oz of #4 bismuth. I knew my powder measure would throw about 570 grains (right between 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 oz), and my #B measure would throw just over 1 3/4 oz. It turned out 1 1/2 patterned great, and it was none too wasteful on the teal. I did notice an odd phenomenon that I have not before. I first noticed it on a crippled goose. The first shot patterns good and tight, the second shot sometimes blows wide. I tried it a few times for fun, and it is always the second shot. I got it to do it with both barrels, not every time, but about 25% of the time. I then took a shot, and checked the second barrel with the ramrod. I noticed that the second barrel had the overshot card move just a tiny bit. I doubt it was more than 1/4". Apparently that's all it takes to ruin a pattern though. I had been splitting my cards in half for the overshot, but they are relatively soft compared to many cards. I am going to begin using them whole again, like I used to.

P.S. The goose I shot was with #4 bismuth. It was fairly close, probably 25 yards. Even at that distance, the shot clearly did not make it through the breasts, only breaking the wings. This small shot is only good if you get a headshot. #B works great though. I may try loading #4 in the first, and #B in the second barrel tomorrow.

I took the SXS out for duck opener, which was unreal. I messed up slightly, but it sure wasn't for lack of ducks. I ended up with a limit of all greenwing teal. I shot one goose, but it somehow pulled off a death dive, never to be seen again. There were some mallards, which did not commit, and lots of spoonbill right away, but none seen after about 10 minutes. This was the first duck opener I ever did outside of Minnesota, and I couldn't be happier. I heard a couple of shots a few miles away, otherwise I was all alone out there.

I was shooting the same powder charge, about 105 gr, but cut a shot measure for 1 1/2 oz of #4 bismuth. I knew my powder measure would throw about 570 grains (right between 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 oz), and my #B measure would throw just over 1 3/4 oz. It turned out 1 1/2 patterned great, and it was none too wasteful on the teal. I did notice an odd phenomenon that I have not before. I first noticed it on a crippled goose. The first shot patterns good and tight, the second shot sometimes blows wide. I tried it a few times for fun, and it is always the second shot. I got it to do it with both barrels, not every time, but about 25% of the time. I then took a shot, and checked the second barrel with the ramrod. I noticed that the second barrel had the overshot card move just a tiny bit. I doubt it was more than 1/4". Apparently that's all it takes to ruin a pattern though. I had been splitting my cards in half for the overshot, but they are relatively soft compared to many cards. I am going to begin using them whole again, like I used to.

P.S. The goose I shot was with #4 bismuth. It was fairly close, probably 25 yards. Even at that distance, the shot clearly did not make it through the breasts, only breaking the wings. This small shot is only good if you get a headshot. #B works great though. I may try loading #4 in the first, and #B in the second barrel tomorrow.
Well done but wow, I'm only using 90gn under 1&3/4oz.
I was taking pigeon with my 10g the other week with 1oz loads and an appropriate charge.
Very versatile guns.
Not to sure on the lifting over shot ruining a pattern but I have seen confetti ruin patterns from disintegrating overshot material.
Don't split them is my advice!

That much powder and shot is definitely not needed for dove, but I'm too lazy to figure out another dipper. Lead shot and powder is cheap enough, and it isn't tearing up birds. Also remember I'm shooting Goex OE Fg. At 105gr, I'm running around 1000 fps, and it's a nice smooth shooting load. Your FFFg at 90gr is probably faster.

Back