• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is a lube needed when using wads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markmahaney

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased lubricated wads for use in mycap and ball revolvers. Since the wads are pre-lubed, is there still a need to seal the chamber after loading powder and ball with a dab of Bore butter or the like? I have read an aricle by Sam Fadala in which he states that not using a greaselube over the ball will lead to fouling and ultimately a locked up revolver. Any thoughts? Thanks

When using lubricated wads I do not put lube over the lead ball. If carrying for minimal shooting I don't see a problem. If you are spending the day at the range I would lube them on occasion to keep the barrel lubed. Some will disagree with me I am sure.

I top off each cylinder with a dab of Crisco to be sure that I don't get any crossfires even when using an OP wad. So far, I never have had a crossfire. It will require a bit of cleaning between loading. That Crisco gets all over everything but it does keep the fouling soft and I think it prevents crossfires.

No need to use both wad and lube. Don't use fake pig fat Crisco Etc. save that for catfish and hush puppies. Non-Petro high heat gear lube such as Moble One from Auto Zone is great. This will not bleed on you holster etc. Mobile One will keep the bore perfect even in hot weather. You will be able to shoot all day without hard fouling. When you are done a couple of patches will wipe the bore. No wad just put a little over the ball in the chamber. :thumbsup:

Ive put right at 800 rnds through my ROA an use the felt wad over the powder so I dont use anything else :thumbsup:

If I go for a range session, I'll use a lube like Crisco or Bore Butter. This will keep the fouling soft, especially around the cylinder base pin. After about three cylinders full without lube, the fouling builds around the base pin, making it difficult for the cylinder to rotate. If I'm just carrying the revolver in the field as a sidearm or a back up, I'll just use a pre lubed wad. Useing lube in warm to hot weather will cause the lube to melt out of the chambers, down the revolver, all over your holster and possibly on your pant leg.

redwing said:
No need to use both wad and lube. Don't use fake pig fat Crisco Etc. save that for catfish and hush puppies. Non-Petro high heat gear lube such as Moble One from Auto Zone is great. This will not bleed on you holster etc. Mobile One will keep the bore perfect even in hot weather. You will be able to shoot all day without hard fouling. When you are done a couple of patches will wipe the bore. No wad just put a little over the ball in the chamber. :thumbsup:

This is my experience also, Redwing has great advice. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back