• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is .45 enough for black bear?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never have shot a bear but scads of downed deer tell me the .45 is serious medicine for anything under elk/moose in size. Even with the big stuff I'd not dismiss the .45.

75 gr of 3f behind 128 gr .45 round ball 2012fps at the muzzle
30.30 Win 130 gr flat point 2,496fps at the muzzle

Besides, black bears are runners, not fighters - I've shot enough of them to know.
So it is adequate then? Provided you do your job with shot placement? How far are the shots (generally) because I do have a .62 fowler

Does anyone know the average shot distance for a Black Bear? How far are shots generally? I also have a .62 fowler and that would certainly smack a bear, but the shot needs to be under 50 yards. -Larry

Does anyone know the average shot distance for a Black Bear? How far are shots generally? I also have a .62 fowler and that would certainly smack a bear, but the shot needs to be under 50 yards. -Larry

I am a bear hunter for over 10 years now. This year will be my second year with a muzzloader. Even with a modern firearm, I haven't took a bear not further than 25 yards. The closer you are, the bigger the target and you can see in details where you shoot ( my opinion). I usually hunt from a treestand at 15 feet high.
For me .50 cal and up for bear hunting. This year I will go with my kentucky rifle, with a load of 110 grains of Triple7 with a 300 grains bullet.
Chasse ours 2019.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
So it is adequate then? Provided you do your job with shot placement? How far are the shots (generally) because I do have a .62 fowler
.62 fowler - depends on your comfort level. Some say they can shoot out to 60 yards, I personally can't shot well past 40.

Hunting over a bait I've shot bear as close as 9 yards. If you watch some videos of guided hunts it looks like most shots are under 30 yrds (bow hunters). Wind is everything with bears, they can smell better than deer.

Won’t hesitate hunting with hounds and shooting a treed bear. But on the the ground, from a stand..... 45 roundball will work, although you could be in for some tracking.

I prefer something with enough power (45 caliber conical, or 50 caliber or larger roundball) to at least bust up one shoulder and penetrate to the vitals. I aim for the scapula if at all possible, not the lungs. Might require a follow up shot, but no tracking. And with their long hair it can take a while before you start to see blood on the ground. We trailed a double lung hit 400 pound bear a few years back in fresh snow than didn’t leave a drop of blood for the first 100 yards or so. Went less than 200 yards total and was dead when we got to it, but without snow likely would have required dogs to find it the mountainous area I hunt. Sometimes they go right down, but other times it’s ‘double lung and run’.

Back