• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is 15 grains of 3f goex enough powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Celebratory gunfire is actually a real thing that kills people, it is all to do with the bullet striking the skull. Luckily not an issue in my part of the world.

I don't doubt it at all. I only suggest that the physics require the gun to be fired at something like a maximum of a 45 degree angle. Fired straight up, the bullet stalls and all the speed it can pick up after that is about 125 mph. At an angle it doesn't lose all it's momentum and can then strike someone at lethal speed. A skydiver can put their body at a 45 degree angle and their body acts as a wing, overpressuring at the top, and they can move at speeds of 300-400 mph but flat and straight down it's 125 mph all day long.

I have a 32 cal mule ear rifle that I would like to use on squirrels, rabbits, coon or other small game out to about 35 Yds. I want to make clean kills with mostly head shots. With 15 grains I can keep a 1 1/2 inch group from a rest. Would like your opinion. Thanks Ike
[/QUOTthat will give plenty of velocity

i have been loading 35 to 40 gr. of 3 f black with a round ball and was told that it was not making the right crack and i needed more powder. now i think the guy is full of the brown stuff. ( not black powder ) I really like shooting 30 gr. better than 35. any idea how fast that is going. I only need enough power to go through both sides of a piece of paper at 25 yards.
No speed limits or noise rules for shooting paper at 25 yards, or any distance for that matter. Accuracy or lack of it is all that counts. I’ve got a 58 TC (Hoyt rebore) that makes a ragged hole at 25 yards when charged with 30 grains of 3F. Use load for off hand practice and as an ‘intro to larger bore flintlocks’ load for new shooters. Little kick, plenty of smoke, a big hole in the target and plenty of smiles. Don’t own a 40 caliber, but would think one could find a 25 yard accuracy load between 15 and 35 grains of powder. As @Grenadier1758 stated, concentrate on enjoying yourself at the range.

Is this a good place to ask if a .32 is a good place for 10-15 grains of FFFFg?

Wearing nomex underwear... okay, go!

don
Way off topic, but both granulations worked fine with similar if not identical accuracy (12-15 grain load in a 32). Chronograph confirmed no exceptional differences between granulations and brands. You can search for threads on the topic.

Centurion is poking fun I believe at three (3) pages of responses to answer one (1) simple question.

A projectile can only come down from less than about 30k feet at terminal velocity, which is about 125 MPH for an item that size, which would be about 125% of what a MLB Closer throwing a tiny round ball as hard as he can at you would be velocity wise..... It might give you a welp if it hit you square on top of the head. Imagine a Major League pitcher throwing a .45 caliber round ball at you at 100mph. Would it kill you if it hit you? Nope. Would it give you a tiny little lump? Probably.
if that is the case, why are several people killed each New Years eve by bullets coming back down people have to be really stupid to shoot anything into the air if anyone lives within a mile of them

Years ago I posted in "Hunting" My .32 with 20 grains of FFF (By Volume) plows the heads on jack rabbits and cotton tails, it also dented the heck out of a steel spinner that had been shot hundreds of times with .22s and 22 magnums without ever being dented. It's better than my eyes 😪 at 30-35 yards.

Yet Colorado won't let you shoot a Turkey with it. . . . too weak to kill one they say :doh:
IMG_0955.JPG

Notice the middle one has "Lost his mind" The other two are good side up, otherwise the photo would be rated "R" for gratuitous gore.

Last edited:
Years ago I posted in "Hunting" My .32 with 20 grains of FFF (By Volume) plows the heads on jack rabbits and cotton tails, it also dented the heck out of a steel spinner that had been shot hundreds of times with .22s and 22 magnums without ever being dented. It's better than my eyes 😪 at 30-35 yards.

Yet Colorado won't let you shoot a Turkey with it. . . . too weak to kill one they say :doh:View attachment 44343
Notice the middle one has "Lost his mind" The other two are good side up, otherwise the photo would be rated "R" for gratuitous gore.
it look's like that these LITTLE BUNNIES are going to and HAVE GONE TO MARKET(THE COOKING POT!)

if that is the case, why are several people killed each New Years eve by bullets coming back down people have to be really stupid to shoot anything into the air if anyone lives within a mile of them
I haven't heard of several people getting killed each year from falling bullets but there is no doubt that at least one girl in Phoenix, Arizona was 20 years ago.
That's why Phoenix has a law called, "Shannon's law". It makes shooting a gun into the air, even if no one is hit by the falling bullet, a felony.

I've heard of it. It just doesn't get allot of publicity like other things. Not enough drama I guess. At least twice that I know of in Vegas. One was an of duty LEO out in the desert where dirt bikes and 4 wheelers ride. It got shooting shot off in that area. Another time was during New Years. It was thought to be celebrative fire. I believe it's more common in big cities and more heavily populated areas.

Latest posts

Back