Ironing Patching?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Reaction score
It seem as if every time I wash the sizing out I’d ticking or other close weave natural fiber cloth I experiment using as patching, I experience wrinkles during the washing and drying process. I’ve always heard the cloth must be washed and dried thoroughly to both remove the sizing chemicals and to tighten the weave of the fabric.

But this always lead to wrinkles, sometimes severely. What is the forums thoughts on ironing out the fabric? Will this remove the tightening of the weave from the drying process? Thanks in advance.

DOUBLEDEUCE 1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I always iron my patch material. Seems to make it more consistent and easier to cut in strips. But that is just me. :thumb:

Reaction score
Must be a serious gap in historical notes. Looks like will have to go back into the French times notes. I got it........Fort Detroit kept impeccable notes , under French and British rule. Might have to investigate there. The Indeans on the frontier would have little to add to this discussion due to they had little cloth , so mostly couldn't patch their bullets w/ cloth. This is truely a frontier conundrum........

Reaction score
Made a Jo Ann’s run:

2E813DA6-98D3-469E-89B8-7457A3F974E2.jpeg

Got some ticking, drill, and canvas. Going to use my pinking shears to go around, wash it doubly in a laundry bag, iron and get to cutting patches to test in my new handmade percussion bear pistol. Can’t wait! :)

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
I sometimes iron the material if it comes out wrinkled, but some materials don't wrinkle that much. One can get away without ever ironing so it's more an individual choice rather than an actual necessity.

Latest posts