• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Iowa to Virginia Muzzleloader Shops

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter Getter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Heading out to Winchester, Virginia to visit my daughter and her family there. I will be traveling on I-80 I am guessing. I'm looking for suggestions on where to stop to visit tradional muzzleloader business/ shops along the way. I have found The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio. Cabin Creek in PA but they are going to be hunting their flintlock season. Any other suggestions along the way? Happy Hollidays to one and all ! Greg. :)

Back creek gun shop is, I believe, in Winchester. It may be by appointment only; so get the number to call, just in case.

Smoke and fire in Waterville, Oh. Not too far south of 80, mostly all highway to get there. Check their hours though.

Dixon's Muzzle Loaders is about the largest Black Powder shop east of Dixie Gun Works. It is a little out of your way, in Krumsville PA, but worth the trip. Check their site for hours, (closed Wednesdays I believe) Dixon's is a straight shot up interstate 81 from Winchester and at Harrisburg PA, swing east on Interstate 78 about 40 miles. Dixon's is like Black Powder Central for every one here in the mid Atlantic.

I live just over the hill from Cabin Creek, and that is a nice place, but it is a whopping 20 ft x 20 ft.

I'd guess that Dixon's is about 2.5 to 3 hours NE of Winchester. Got nothing against the other suggestions. Dixon's is about the size of a medium Dollar General, but not so cluttered.

If you go to Dixon's stop also at Dietrich's Meats up next to the interstate exit. Best beef jerky on earth.

What Zimmerstutzen said. Dixon's is the place that all muzzleloading enthusiasts should make a pilgrimage to. As many times as possible. While there, make sure you take time to look at all the rifles hanging from the ceiling.

trettie said:
Taylor's and Company is located in Winchester.

SUPERB folks to deal with, but do they have a Retail Store there? Last time I was there in 2005, they did not. Already PM'd Critter Getter on them.

Gus

Only about an hour and 10 minutes from I-76 and I-71 and about 2 hours from I-80 and I-71 one way south to Westerville. To me that is more than "not to far.". DANNY

Yes I'd agree Westerville is a little off the beaten path. But Smoke and Fire is probably 20 minutes south of 80 in Waterville in the Toledo area.

Thank you so much to everyone for your suggestions! I'm going to be out that way for several days so these destinations will surely be visited. Have a Happy and safe New Year Holiday! Greg. :)

Cain's Outdoors in Williamstown, WV outside of Parkersburg maybe of interest to you. Off I-77. They have a website. Dan.

If you alter your path returning to Iowa there is Deer Creek in Waldron, Indiana, (right off the interstate between Cincinnati and Indianapolis) that is well worth going to.

I have been to Deer Creek a couple of times and picked up a case of BP. Good prices on powder and CVA parts. Greg. :)

The trip there was wonderful and the trip back was even better except for all the rain I had to drive in on the way back. I was able to stop at the Log Cabin Shop on the way there and a couple of modern gun shops in Winchester although one did offer a traditional rifle. I also stopped at some Cabelas along the way. Time restraints kept me from being able to make it to Dixons like I wanted to. That part of the country sure is pretty and I look forward to going back again sometime! Greg. :)

Back