• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Investarms Gemmer Hawken build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started my build on my Gemmer GPR Flinter from Muzzleloaders.com SO far I have taken off most of the big "chunks" of wood. Now I need to settle down and refine the lines a bit. Luckily I have my GPR capper as a "model" to refer to!!

Attachments

• GPR build 1.jpg
    GPR build 1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • GPR Build 2.jpg
    GPR Build 2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • GPR Build 3.jpg
    GPR Build 3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • GPR Build 4.jpg
    GPR Build 4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • GPR Build 5.jpg
    GPR Build 5.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • GPR Build 6.jpg
    GPR Build 6.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • GPR Build 7.jpg
    GPR Build 7.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Moving along, first run at staining the stock. The repair by the lock panel shows a bit ,but hopefully will disappear even more as i do more coats of stain & finish. This is stain by Min Wax called "Gun Stock. "Metal needs a bit more work but I do not want it to look like it came out of Tiffanny's , I want it to look good but still appear hand made, aged etc. Still have to do the under rib, and trigger guard :dunno: !!

Attachments

• Gemmer Stock Stain 2.jpg
    Gemmer Stock Stain 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Gemmer Stock Stain 3.jpg
    Gemmer Stock Stain 3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Gemmer Stock Stain.jpg
    Gemmer Stock Stain.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Gemmer Metal 1.jpg
    Gemmer Metal 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Gemmer Metal 2.jpg
    Gemmer Metal 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I decided to remove the garbage stamped on my barrel I left the main name on top kind of like old times, the caliber on the off side flat. I got rid of all the warning labels and other miscellaneous junk. I think it is looking pretty good. Lots of slow file work!! Comments are welcome

Attachments

• Hawken barrel 5.jpg
    Hawken barrel 5.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Hawken barrel 3.jpg
    Hawken barrel 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Hawken barrel 4.jpg
    Hawken barrel 4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I like the "uncluttered" barrel look too. Your moving right along!
Thanks, I tried a mix of 1 oz BLO, 1/2 oz turpentine, 1/2 oz mineral spirits, 1 oz beeswax. I melted the bees wax and mixed everything together, but it did not stay in 'suspension, as it cooled the beeswax solidified again. So, I do not know whether i just need to keep it "heated" to use it, or try something different. I put on one coat with it and it is a bit thick & slippery! I rub it in good and then apply some more. I'll see how it looks after it sits overnight. It could take many coats to fill the pores etc. I may just use some BLO and Turpentine to finish it up? I really don't know.

Thanks, I tried a mix of 1 oz BLO, 1/2 oz turpentine, 1/2 oz mineral spirits, 1 oz beeswax. I melted the bees wax and mixed everything together, but it did not stay in 'suspension, as it cooled the beeswax solidified again. So, I do not know whether i just need to keep it "heated" to use it, or try something different. I put on one coat with it and it is a bit thick & slippery! I rub it in good and then apply some more. I'll see how it looks after it sits overnight. It could take many coats to fill the pores etc. I may just use some BLO and Turpentine to finish it up? I really don't know.
Maybe try going over the applications with a hair dryer and rub it in while keeping it fluid with the heat.

I have tuned up most of the metal now. I removed all casting marks etc but did not polish them so much that they look like a piece of jewelry. I want them to look like they were part of an 1800 build etc. I am working the stock with BLO, Turpentine and Beeswax mix. You can see the color of it in the jar in the photo. You can also see the stock repair. It seems to be holding fine. When I am ready for the last coat or two of finish, I can "color" it to match. May add a bit more BLO. Slow going all around ,but I am hanging in there.

Attachments

• Gemmer parts 2.jpg
    Gemmer parts 2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Gemmer parts 3.jpg
    Gemmer parts 3.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Ok, I have several coats of finish on thee stock. I think I am done? Open for suggestions. I think I just need to 'wax" it and I am good to go?

Attachments

• Gemmer Stock Stained 2.jpg
    Gemmer Stock Stained 2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Gemmer Stock Stained 3.jpg
    Gemmer Stock Stained 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Gemmer Stock Stained 4.jpg
    Gemmer Stock Stained 4.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Gemmer Stock Stained.jpg
    Gemmer Stock Stained.jpg