• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Investarms Gemmer Hawken build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a .50 flintlock that I started about 3 months ago and finished 3 weeks ago. Bought the kit from Muzzel-Loaders.com and I watched the "I love muzzleloading" YouTube series on his build before and during mine. I replaced the Investarms lock with a L&R RPL lock. I used Laurel Mountain Forge browning for the barrel and hardware and DGW antique stain for the wood. This was my 2nd kit build so I'm still very much a novice. And not sure how the photos will present since this is my first attempt. I plan on trying her out this weekend, weather permitting.

Attachments

• IMG_3740.JPG
    IMG_3740.JPG
    897.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3776.JPG
    IMG_3776.JPG
    914.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3735.JPG
    IMG_3735.JPG
    858.1 KB · Views: 0
Getting toward the end now. I was delayed finishing when the nose cap I was polishing spun out of my vise and disappeared somewhere in my shop, never to be seen since. I ordered a nickel silver replacement from TOW and waited for it to arrive. I know everyone has different taste in finishing, but I like an aged look. I went for that in the stock and in the metal. The barrel is heavily browned, but though I used the Laurel Mountain on the lock and other hardware I brought them back to varying degrees of bright with steel wool.

Attachments

• IMG_3849.JPG
    IMG_3849.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3850.JPG
    IMG_3850.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3851.JPG
    IMG_3851.JPG
    669.9 KB · Views: 0
I'm pleased with how it turned out overall. But the truth will be in how it shoots. I did a lot of tuning on the lock and trigger assembly which was a great learning experience. Wish I had better photos, but didn't think I'd be showing them to anyone at the time. It fits me well and feels solid. And again, it looks worn, kinda like me.

Attachments

• IMG_3852.JPG
    IMG_3852.JPG
    556.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3854.JPG
    IMG_3854.JPG
    530.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3855.JPG
    IMG_3855.JPG
    544.4 KB · Views: 0
It looks like you are doing a very good job of inletting. Especially the buttplate. No gaps like a lot of beginners leave. My only suggestion would be to make the lock panels a little thinner and a more concave curve from the wrist into a thinner comb nose. The stock stain looks very nice. These are just my ideas of course and you can take them for what they're worth. It looks a whole lot better than my second attempt!

It looks like you are doing a very good job of inletting. Especially the buttplate. No gaps like a lot of beginners leave. My only suggestion would be to make the lock panels a little thinner and a more concave curve from the wrist into a thinner comb nose. The stock stain looks very nice. These are just my ideas of course and you can take them for what they're worth. It looks a whole lot better than my second attempt!
Couldn't agree with you more on the lock panels. And I did go back and thin out some after comparing to real Hawkens. Just should have thinned a bit more.

This is a .50 flintlock that I started about 3 months ago and finished 3 weeks ago. Bought the kit from Muzzel-Loaders.com and I watched the "I love muzzleloading" YouTube series on his build before and during mine. I replaced the Investarms lock with a L&R RPL lock. I used Laurel Mountain Forge browning for the barrel and hardware and DGW antique stain for the wood. This was my 2nd kit build so I'm still very much a novice. And not sure how the photos will present since this is my first attempt. I plan on trying her out this weekend, weather permitting.
Just rec'd my kit two days ago!!!

Back