• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Investarms .50 Caliber Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. Take it with my blessing. I have a barrel to have rebored and that will keep me busy and give me something new to experiment with.

Works for me either way. My apologies for not getting pictures out yet. Called away from the shop for a couple days. Anyway, if either of you want to see pics I will send them tomorrow. Also, you guys decide who gets it and I will be glad to see it go to a good home.

For what it's worth, I have a rifle with a bore as bad or worse that shoots one hole groups at 50yd. It fouls and chews patches into lint but darn if it won't shoot.

I have one more trick to try on the rusted and pitted barrel I just got. I am going to use the drill press and make a straight line hole and screw a ball remover into a Lee 50 caliber Minnie bullet. Then coat it with fine lapping compound and run it up and down the barrel and see if it smooths out a little. I am in no hurry to have the barrel bored out. I like experimenting with new ideas.

Here is the old barrel I was telling you about. Been out of the shop for a couple days but better late than never. Please excuse my messy desk. I'm a bit of a slob...

Attachments

• WP_20221006_19_54_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20221006_19_54_51_Pro.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • WP_20221006_19_55_01_Pro.jpg
    WP_20221006_19_55_01_Pro.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I have one more trick to try on the rusted and pitted barrel I just got. I am going to use the drill press and make a straight line hole and screw a ball remover into a Lee 50 caliber Minnie bullet. Then coat it with fine lapping compound and run it up and down the barrel and see if it smooths out a little. I am in no hurry to have the barrel bored out. I like experimenting with new ideas.
That sounds just crazy enough to work. Let us know how it turns out.

Pretty sure he's not gonna punch a 15/16ths barrel out to 62cal/20 gauge.

Lyman sold some 15/16" barrels by Investarms that were 62 cal/20 ga smoothbore. Not sure if Mr Hoyt would go that far but a 56/28 ga he might?

Lyman sold some 15/16" barrels by Investarms that were 62 cal/20 ga smoothbore. Not sure if Mr Hoyt would go that far but a 56/28 ga he might?

Yes sir, they did. But I'm just about positive Mr. Hoyt won't take a 15/16ths barrel out that far. And Toledo Arms of Spain made 12 gauge barrels to fit the Renegade and 54cal Hawken.

And also about positive both of these would be of stronger steel than the soft leaded stuff TC and most of the others use.

Looks salvageable to me. Have you tried 0000 steel wool on a bore brush? Soak with oil and give it a few passes.

Yes I did the steel wool on a brush and also tried the method I mentioned above. I screwed a ball puller into a 50 caliber Minnie bullet coated with extra fine lapping compound and ran that up and down the barrel. The barrel is actually smooth and will most likely shoot decent groups. But it is pitted. But smooth. It had a lot of old gunk in it but after soaking with Ballistol then brushing and scrubbing with steel wool its smooth and clean. Just pitted and I can't change that. Thanks for the suggestion just the same.

But it will be shot. Maybe next week. I am going to my buds land to work on a deer blind and I will take it with me and run some rounds down the barrel. If I remember to take my camera will take a couple of photos of the target.

Back