• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Investarms .50 Caliber Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burlesontom

.45 Cal
Reaction score
I won this barrel off EBay and bought it knowing the bore was bad. I have a before and after picture and after soaking all day with WD-40 and scrubbing with Scotch pads and steel wool I have decided the bore is gone. I bought this thinking I could send it to Mr. Hoyt to have bored to a 54 caliber deep groove RB barrel with a 1/56-1/60 twist.

I know the barrel may still shoot OK like it is. I plan on trying it first. I have even considered reaming it out to a smooth bore before I sent it off and play with that a little first. Amazingly the clean out screw and nipple came right out with no rust on them.

Anyone have a guess as to the approximate amount Mr. Hoyt charges to bore and re-rifle a barrel?

The third picture is after cleaning and brushing.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 0
Looking over this barrel I have decided this must have been a kit gun. The date code of BM dates it to 1999. The bluing on the barrel is very thin. Way too thin to have been a factory blue job. And no bluing at all on the muzzle. The fact that the clean out screw and nipple easily unscrewed makes me think someone shot this gun a couple of times and then hung it up on the wall uncleaned. That would explain the rusted barrel and no blast marks around the nipple and bolster area.

I am guessing someone did a poor cold blue on the metal. So after I get it bored and rifled I am going to file off the makers marks and brown the barrel. Maybe replace the sights with a "Hawken" style rear and a thinner front blade around .080 thick.

Since the under rib is aluminum I will have to buy a new steel one. I did that on my first kit. A Cabelas 45 Hawken. I got rib material from Mountain State Muzzle Loading. I just clamped the old and new together and used the factory rib for a drill pattern. I am sort of excited about this project.

Anyone have a guess as to the approximate amount Mr. Hoyt charges to bore and re-rifle a barrel?
Buck twenty, Buck an a half.
You pay to ship it to him,, he ship's it back.
Ask him to turn it into a .54 slow. He don't need the rail on it, he don't need the sights on it
His cost is directly related to the labor,,
Then in what "I hope" to be many years from now, you'll be able to say your have a Robert Hoyt cut barrel.
;)

I've got an investarms hawken barrel I'm getting ready to throw away. Someone gave me the rifle a few years ago to get rid of it. The stock was nice but this barrel was terrible. Looks like it was never cleaned and has the base for one of those 209 primer thingys on it. To make a short story long, if you want it I will send it your way instead of trashing it. Then when you send the first one to Mr. Hoyt for reboring he can make this one a .62 smoothie while he is at it.

I've got an investarms hawken barrel I'm getting ready to throw away. Someone gave me the rifle a few years ago to get rid of it. The stock was nice but this barrel was terrible. Looks like it was never cleaned and has the base for one of those 209 primer thingys on it. To make a short story long, if you want it I will send it your way instead of trashing it. Then when you send the first one to Mr. Hoyt for reboring he can make this one a .62 smoothie while he is at it.

Pretty sure he's not gonna punch a 15/16ths barrel out to 62cal/20 gauge.

Pretty sure he's not gonna punch a 15/16ths barrel out to 62cal/20 gauge.
You sir are correct. Never paid this rifle any attention but, at a glance, I thought it was a one inch. Just compared it to my renegade and it is just a hair thinner. Sold the stock on fleebay a while back. I'm cleaning out the tack shop today and was just thinking about tossing that barrel in the back of the truck as it has been leaned against the wall here for a while. Then saw this thread.

I would be very happy to take the barrel. Thank you so much for the offer. Send me a PM if you want some cash or I will at least send you money to ship it to me. I will give anything a try. Just curious, what caliber was the barrel? I would love to have a smooth bore barrel.

Then in what "I hope" to be many years from now, you'll be able to say your have a Robert Hoyt cut barrel.
Thats what I want to do. I really like shooting RB loads. I cast all I shoot and I shoot .45, 50 and .54 and several molds for all. Plus several hundred pounds of lead. I have always liked thumper guns. Big bore guns that throw heavy bullets (or balls). I just feel like they kill better. I like harvesting deer. I like the meat. I could care less about horns. I don't like the killing part so when I do it I want it done as fast and humanely as possible. Big bullets do that.

Well, I just mentioned that because Robert Hoyt seems to have focused his life's skill to crafting fine barrel internals.
Each of his barrels returned to a customer end up being capable of the highest accuracy in the hands of a competent user.
And I've heard that same thing since I joined this forum many years ago. I have just two done by him.
If you can get a Hoyt rifled or bored barrel,, by all means do so, you won't be disappointed.

I would be very happy to take the barrel. Thank you so much for the offer. Send me a PM if you want some cash or I will at least send you money to ship it to me. I will give anything a try. Just curious, what caliber was the barrel? I would love to have a smooth bore barrel.
Just took a look at it and realized someone bored two holes for a scope mount. I've heard this may be a problem for smooth boring, depending on the depth, but don't really know much about that kind of work. If that is a problem maybe this one could be the rifled barrel and smooth out the one you have? Either way, in light of this new information, just let me know if you are still interested. If so, I will PM you later and we will get it done. Have a great day.

Just took a look at it and realized someone bored two holes for a scope mount. I've heard this may be a problem for smooth boring, depending on the depth, but don't really know much about that kind of work. If that is a problem maybe this one could be the rifled barrel and smooth out the one you have? Either way, in light of this new information, just let me know if you are still interested. If so, I will PM you later and we will get it done. Have a great day.

Yes I am still interested. I would at least like to look at it. I don't like throwing something away that might still have some life in it.

Yes I am still interested. I would at least like to look at it. I don't like throwing something away that might still have some life in it.
Much agreed. I will try to remember to take a few pics of it tomorrow and send to you. I hate to see possibly useful stuff going to waste as well. I guess that is why it has been propped in the corner of my little shop so long. Couldn't help but think somebody might could use it for something.

Much agreed. I will try to remember to take a few pics of it tomorrow and send to you. I hate to see possibly useful stuff going to waste as well. I guess that is why it has been propped in the corner of my little shop so long. Couldn't help but think somebody might could use it for something.
Hermit Tim,
I would be happy to take it, if burlesontom decides he doesn’t want it.
Thanks!
‘Poet

Since I have a new barrel to play with why don't you go ahead and let undeadpoet take the barrel. I don't want to be a hog. I have no problem with that. I hope he can get some use from your old barrel. ;):thumb:

Since I have a new barrel to play with why don't you go ahead and let undeadpoet take the barrel. I don't want to be a hog. I have no problem with that. I hope he can get some use from your old barrel. ;):thumb:
Are you sure? I just wanted to put my name in, if you didn’t want it. Not trying to usurp your spot. I will certainly be happy to have it, if you don’t want it, and if Hermit Tim wants to send it to me. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back