• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Introducing Helga!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teleoceras

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Earlier today, a package from Leonard Day was delivered. In it was my Doglock .62 smoothbore.She was built to a design of a colonial Dutch arm of the mid-1600's. Very well balanced, the lock gave a shower of sparks into the pan when I tested her out. This design has a bellied lockplate making it look like she was a conversion from a Wheellock.

I'm calling her Helga.

You can see Helga at http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/1945/Guns/Doglock.htm

Mr. Day regularly makes this design and I do recommend it if you are looking for a colonial Dutch smoothbore. :thumbsup:

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

That must be one ringer of a picture. I get the note you've "exceeded your data transfer limit"! Huh? :confused: Of course, you know how I can be! :rotf: :blah:

Musketman:

Your link isn't working, if you send me the image I will edit it in for all to see...

Actually the bandwith got overloaded with too many people looking at the page.

Helga1.jpg

Helga2.jpg

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Nice work and thanks for sharing. :) But wouldn't a Doglock also be considered pre-flintlock also? :hmm:

Spitfire --

That's a good question. The answer depends on whether the person asking (or answering) it is using the term "flintlock" to mean a general type of lock, involving the striking of a flint against a frizzen, or only the "true" or "French" type flintlock, which originated about 1610. By the first definition, a snaphance, miquelet, doglock, or snaplock is correctly considered a flintlock. All of the above (and similar types I might have overlooked) become "pre-flintlock" mechanisms if the second definition is used. Both definitions, though, are correct.

However it's defined, Teleoceras' gun is a beauty.

spitfire said:
Nice work and thanks for sharing. :) But wouldn't a Doglock also be considered pre-flintlock also? :hmm:

The dog was seen on earlier locks for sure, but this gun is also a smoothbore and is just as home in this section as it would be in the pre-flintlock area...

I see it has a pronounced "droop" in the lockplate below the pan, isn't that classic wheellock technology?

Spitfire:

This is a gray area simply because this is a later version of the Doglock with a vertical sear. If the lock had the earlier lateral sear, then this would have been posted in the Pre-Flintlock section.

The later type of lock was appearing after the Flintlock was invented. So to be safe I posted in the smoothbore section since she is a Dutch colonial smoothbore that would have been around when my home state was still called New Netherlands.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Musketman:

I see it has a pronounced "droop" in the lockplate below the pan, isn't that classic wheellock technology?

Yes and no. Some of the earlier guns were converted from Wheellocks while others were just built using that style of lock plate with a flint ignition for a few decades.

Leonard Day built the lock mechanism. He stressed that the flint has to be shortened in the back due to the jaws of the cock being so small. The flints he sent me are 3/4" in diameter and about 1/2" in length.

The barrel is a colerain. Helga cost $875 + $20 shipping.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Latest posts

Back