• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Intetnet Powder Sellers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm running dangerously low on real black powder guys. Want to place a 25 lbs order from one of the online powder vendors. Which one is the best to deal with? I knows there's a few out there and just looking for feedback on them.

Thoughts?

-Smokey

Thanks, guys!! I have found 0 places here in Las Vegas carrying real black. I'm going to have to get it online.

As for storage, anybody have any recommendations? I'll be moving within a few months. Is it safe to move around that much powder?

Thanks, guys!! I have found 0 places here in Las Vegas carrying real black. I'm going to have to get it online.

As for storage, anybody have any recommendations? I'll be moving within a few months. Is it safe to move around that much powder?

Black powder is safe to move, i carry up to 50 pouds, in my 8x16 foot trailer. And even keep it in the tent, not next to the wood stove, at reactments.

I store my powder differently than most. I vacuum pack each can and store them in large plastic ammo cans with a rubber seal in an outside shed. I keep a couple of cans in my heated garage/shop of the opened cans that I am using. Been doing this for a couple years and the powder is unaffected by temp and humidity when I store it like this. I am going to make a large powder purchase in the next few months just so I dont have to worry about supply and cost for quite a while.

I like to buy from Powdervalleyinc. No minimum, can mix match with modern stuff, primer, caps, fuse, etc.... watch the sales and specials for free shipping and free or reduced hazmat. Up to 48# on an order.

I store my powder differently than most. I vacuum pack each can and store them in large plastic ammo cans with a rubber seal in an outside shed. I keep a couple of cans in my heated garage/shop of the opened cans that I am using. Been doing this for a couple years and the powder is unaffected by temp and humidity when I store it like this. I am going to make a large powder purchase in the next few months just so I dont have to worry about supply and cost for quite a while.

By sealing them tight in an ammo can it's possible that you are creating a dangerous situation. If there is a fire in your shed it doesn't have to get very hot to set the powder off. The more confined it is the more it will act like a bomb.

The vacuum sealing probably wouldn't contribute to the effect. OTOH, it's probably unnecessary to seal them since the factory cap is probably more than adequate.

The required storage containers used by dealers have a provision for an explosion to be channeled straight up with relatively little resistance.

By sealing them tight in an ammo can it's possible that you are creating a dangerous situation. If there is a fire in your shed it doesn't have to get very hot to set the powder off. The more confined it is the more it will act like a bomb.

The vacuum sealing probably wouldn't contribute to the effect. OTOH, it's probably unnecessary to seal them since the factory cap is probably more than adequate.

The required storage containers used by dealers have a provision for an explosion to be channeled straight up with relatively little resistance.

store them in large plastic ammo cans
Don’t see plastic ammo cans creating a dangerous situation. Imagine they would be melting right along with the plastic containers blackpowder is now shipped in.

That is why I use the plastic cans. This shed is well away from other structures. Indiana gets lots of humid weather so I vacuum pack for long term storage. May not be necessary but just one more layer of protection for my powder.

Try Graf and Sons. Reasonable prices. I just ordered five pounds yesterday!

Yeah I just ordered from them too, as I was also in the market for a couple of different pounds of smokeless for modern stuff, and they had what I was looking for in stock...as well as the 3Fg and the "reenactor" type black powder. A hazmat fee is a hazmat fee, so IF I'm going to pay it I might as well make a large order and spread the fee out over a bunch of products, since it's a "flat" fee...

LD

That is why I use the plastic cans. This shed is well away from other structures. Indiana gets lots of humid weather so I vacuum pack for long term storage. May not be necessary but just one more layer of protection for my powder.

Whoa! I completely overlooked the "plastic" part of ammo can.

In any case, a lawn mower with gas in the tank is probably more dangerous than the BP.

Whoa! I completely overlooked the "plastic" part of ammo can.

In any case, a lawn mower with gas in the tank is probably more dangerous than the BP.

I saw a 55 gallon drum of gasoline detonated once. I was a few miles away about 1200 feet in the air when it happened. It was the biggest fireball I've ever seen.

Liquid accelerants scare me more than solid explosives.

I'm running dangerously low on real black powder guys. Want to place a 25 lbs order from one of the online powder vendors. Which one is the best to deal with? I knows there's a few out there and just looking for feedback on them.

Thoughts?

-Smokey
If purchasing 25# or more Try Maine Powder House. They let you mix and match powders (Goex, swiss, schutzen) and give free shipping (hazmat included) for orders of 25# or more. Their prices are competitive with the other on-line suppliers.

Thanks so much, gang!

So I am trying to get different brands to check for best accuracy and fouling levels in my rifle. Wondering if I should just order a 5 lbs order, with a few different brands (Goex, Swiss, Shutzen, Graf’s, Old E, etc.) Won’t be as cheap per pound vs ordering a 25 lbs lot, but I won’t have a ton of powder left that isn’t the best for my rifle. Thoughts?

Help!!

Back