• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Internet transactions, payment and shipping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use PP occasionally but I always transfer the funds immediately to my bank account. Never an issue. Use them as a tool to your advantage by sending money friends and family, even though you lose their protection against fraud. Know who you're buying from and don't take stupid risks. If a deal seems too good to be true, you'll probably get burned!

I have had 2 packages in the last month with weird delivery problems from USPS. The tracking number detail showed they would be delivered in 4 days. The tracking showed they arrived in Orlando Florida. Orlando is 1 hour from my home. Then no updates for several days and then all of a sudden the package was out for delivery. USPS has notifications on their web site stating there are delays due to Covid-19.
Hopefully your package will show up soon.

I can steal your stuff if you use paypal. Happens all the time. Here is how.

You sell me your item and I pay you via Paypal. You ship it in an 8 pound box and it gets to me in great shape.
Then, I notify paypal the item is: a. not as described b. broken c. any other excuse I can find. Paypal will supply me a return shipping label. All I have to do is put 8 pounds of bricks or anything inside a box of the same dimension and ship it back to you. As soon as the tracking number shows its delivered, paypal gives me my money. Now, I got your item and my money and you are SOL. No way I use paypal. Ask me how I know. I am a trusting sole. I take USPS money orders or cashiers checks. I also have been know to ship what I sold the same time you mail me a M.O.

The USPS website says their shipping except Priority has slowed down some because of the virus. I've been lucky so far. No problems. I only pay with Paypal. I keep no balance there. I also use Visa's ENO card number system. Each vendor gets his own CC number linked to the original number. It isn't any more secure than a single card, but you will be able to tell where the hack came from. The numbers can also be individually turned on and off.

If the entity or individual I'm considering buying from is not up to 21st century purchasing standards(I.e online CC transaction) then I find another seller who is. There's no excuse now days to use antiquated systems. The only exception to this rule is when I purchase my doe license, as the game commission still requires checks or money orders. They've been 30 years behind the times foreverand there's no changing that.

IIRC our gun club uses Pay Pal for its membership dues. That indirectly is gun related I guess. Never had a problem.

There are no bulletproof transactions. I can give you cash and you can give me the item and then follow me to the car and lay me out with a chunk of wood. To minimize the knots on my head, I use PayPal exactly as EC121 does and I use USPSMOs. I also buy all my BP guns or accountrements at rifle shows or on a forum where traditional makers hang out and/or are known by reputation by me or those around me. That’s all the ‘loss prevention’ remediation I can manage and it works pretty well.

Please elaborate.
Sure. There are lots of payment services and apps similar to PayPal available to consumers and businesses. Some are free, some charge a whole lot and in between. Their terms vary, so read them, don’t glance over them. You can use them to transfer funds or if the buyer doesn’t use the service you can still use them to invoice the buyer’s credit card. If a seller rips you off, notify the CC of such. You’re not responsible for the loss if you bank where I do. The fraud division of the bank/ CC will either pursue the offender directly or likely involve law enforcement as well. Wire fraud is the same as mail fraud. I learned this not because I’m an internet lawyer (haha) but because I’ve been ripped off twice in the last 20 years, and in both cases I wasn’t responsible for the money. My bank (USAA) had returned the funds to me within 24 hours and apart from a couple of follow up calls and emails that was the last I heard of it.

So as a seller I’d talk to my buyer and find out what their preference is and try to accommodate it. As a buyer I like to do business with sellers that will at least work with me a little, too.

Yep I would send cash (and have) to most anyone on this board. Only scam chance I see is a guy signs up this morning and offers a 2500 flinter for 800 bucks. No that I would think twice about.

FWIW, I have had excellent service with USPS money orders. If one disappears, or the seller claims it has disappeared, the USPS can check if it has been cashed, and if so, where and when. If it has not been cashed in 30 days (this may have been changed) you can present your receipt, file a lost claim, and get your money back.

You guys are scaring me off PayPal. Had no idea such bad things happen, as I have never had a problem. I'm thinking I might be done with them. Can't you send a MO via registered mail?

The 2 times my CC info was compromised it was traced back to restaurants I’d eaten at. A staff member just copied the information down. That’s often how it happens. I know nobody here wants a math lesson but digital encryption is pretty fascinating stuff. Simple, yet genius in its simplicity and effectiveness.

Funny coincidence! I opened my Facebook this morning and check the “memories” thing. 5 years ago today for a fun number theory exercise I taught my students how credit card numbers are generated and how they could figure out what the missing number was on my credit card without guessing. Sorry, I won’t derail the topic any further. :ghostly:
34E1917E-BEDB-42D5-8EAF-0E5E0BC11737.jpeg

60 days. 2mos.
Re-read the original post for all the details.

FWIW, I have had excellent service with USPS money orders. If one disappears, or the seller claims it has disappeared, the USPS can check if it has been cashed, and if so, where and when. If it has not been cashed in 30 days (this may have been changed) you can present your receipt, file a lost claim, and get your money back.

I've never been cheated this way.....the only times I have been cheated on an internet (Gunbroker) deal was the weapon did not arrive in the stated condition. I did get it, although damaged (first time was a TC Hawken that Bobby Hoyt fixed for me, thanks to the good suggestions here).

You could have sent "signature receipt" where the guy would have to sign for it or "delivery confirmation," I often do either but for personal checks I usually do not. If I have any doubt of the seller I do though.

A MO can be refunded, takes several weeks, but the US Postal Service will refund it. You might give it a few more days then go that route.

When I send off payment I always type up a memo describing all points of the sale: names, item number, etc., with "attached to this memo is the money order/check for X." I then staple the MO or check to the memo and run a copy of it for my files. When I get the receipt from the post office I staple that to the memo and when the green card the recipient had to sign to receive it comes, I staple that to the memo as well. That way I can prove it was received and when, in case I need to.

The IRS tried to fine a friend for being "late on his taxes" until he mailed them a copy of the green card they signed for when his taxes arrived on time. He is the one that taught me about sending things certified, signature receipt.

Gentlemen, please read the original post. It does not take 'several weeks' for a USPS MO refund, it takes a minimum of 2mos. That's 60 days! This info is direct from a USPS Supv, yesterday.
That's a big part of why I posted in the first place, and what convinced me that sending a MO as payment is not for me. As stated in my original post, I'm stuck. No way to find out where the payment is, no way to 'cancel the MO for refund' until 60days goes by- and that's just beginning the process! Afeter 60days then you fill out the forms, after that they investigate to see if the MO was cashed. A refund could take 3mos to recieve! Others may be ok with that scenario and get it but it isn't for me.

I've never been cheated this way.....the only times I have been cheated on an internet (Gunbroker) deal was the weapon did not arrive in the stated condition. I did get it, although damaged (first time was a TC Hawken that Bobby Hoyt fixed for me, thanks to the good suggestions here).

You could have sent "signature receipt" where the guy would have to sign for it or "delivery confirmation," I often do either but for personal checks I usually do not. If I have any doubt of the seller I do though.

A MO can be refunded, takes several weeks, but the US Postal Service will refund it. You might give it a few more days then go that route.

When I send off payment I always type up a memo describing all points of the sale: names, item number, etc., with "attached to this memo is the money order/check for X." I then staple the MO or check to the memo and run a copy of it for my files. When I get the receipt from the post office I staple that to the memo and when the green card the recipient had to sign to receive it comes, I staple that to the memo as well. That way I can prove it was received and when, in case I need to.

The IRS tried to fine a friend for being "late on his taxes" until he mailed them a copy of the green card they signed for when his taxes arrived on time. He is the one that taught me about sending things certified, signature receipt.

Not pointing finger but you might be surprised how many people write the address sloppy and or don't complete the return address. I'll bet the majority of them blame the post office for their mail. They also do a poor job packing. I worked a mailroom for years and rarely a day went by that we didn't get a piece of mail that was mangled in some way. With all the automation, it's easy for a piece of mail to get caught up in the machinery.

Back