• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Interesting smoothbore.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpd303

Nearly Normal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a long barreled percussion muzzleloader from an old timer about 20 years ago that was described as a poke stock shotgun. It is smooth bore and 20ga wads fit and fire fine with an ounce of shot over 2 1/4 drams of FFG. It looks like the lock is a Springfield with a modified hammer, but there are no markings anywhere. It has a false patch box.

The overall length is 58 1/4 inches and the barrel is 42 1/4 to the breech plug & hexagon 12 1/2 inches from the breech plug then round with a brass dovetail rear sight and brass post front. The muzzle measures .634 and tapers down to .590 about 4 inches in. It shoots a .575-patched ball with reasonable accuracy for a smooth bore. A while back on another forum someone suggested it might have a Pope stock design.
Sure would like to have more info about it.

v5zx2p.jpg

1yoaci.jpg

There were some odd Austrian guns with stocks that looked like target rifle stocks but we're smooth. That strange muzzle cone is on two German smooth bore guns i have. Almost looks like a Prangerstutzen.

After seeing the "patch box" I Agree it is probably cobbled parts. That did happen frequently 50 to 60 years ago.

I do like it much -- looks so comfy to lock into and shoot. Puppy is cute too.

It is a nice shooter. My wife loves it, fairly light and well balanced and points well.

The brass ram rod pipes are soldered to the barrel. The ramrod looks home made with a brass end that screws into the steel rod with a tow worm turned into the other end.
n671hf.jpg

The barrel is attached to the forearm with a single machine screw to a post soldered to the barrel, which the ramrod passes through.
33vln9i.jpg

The brass trigger guard looks to be a modified musket guard.
15ewojp.jpg

6537te.jpg

I bought a long barreled percussion muzzleloader from an old timer about 20 years ago that was described as a poke stock shotgun. It is smooth bore and 20ga wads fit and fire fine with an ounce of shot over 2 1/4 drams of FFG. It looks like the lock is a Springfield with a modified hammer, but there are no markings anywhere. It has a false patch box.

The overall length is 58 1/4 inches and the barrel is 42 1/4 to the breech plug & hexagon 12 1/2 inches from the breech plug then round with a brass dovetail rear sight and brass post front. The muzzle measures .634 and tapers down to .590 about 4 inches in. It shoots a .575-patched ball with reasonable accuracy for a smooth bore. A while back on another forum someone suggested it might have a Pope stock design.
Sure would like to have more info about it.

The missing pictures.
poke stock 001.jpg

poke stock 002.jpg

poke stock 005.jpg

Let me know if you would like to see more.

Back