Interesting Mountain Man site

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

vintovka

MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Been looking for info on any Italian Mountain men and came across the attached link. Probably old news to many but new to me. Has hours of reads and pics and stuff i never knew. The sub links to sites of Grizzly Adams and his life were of particular interest as i spent many happy hours around Pinecrest CA as area Engineer for the water Board looking for gold mines. Again sorry if old but a good distraction for a while.

Explorers & Frontiersman List – Legends of America

vintovka

MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This site is a "time bandit" so heads up. I bookmarked it so I can go back and continue as time allows. Poor grizzely adams. Prolly only man saved by and eventually killed by a bear.

vintovka

MLF Supporter
Reaction score
You're welcome. I thought it might be of interest here. If you find an Italian or Sicilian (other than Columbus) on the list let me know.

Brokennock

70 Cal.
Reaction score
You're welcome. I thought it might be of interest here. If you find an Italian or Sicilian (other than Columbus) on the list let me know.
Somewhat "tongue in cheek."
Why would Italians come here, from colonial times until the new world was well established and economics were better here?
I mean we had good food, good culture, and beautiful scenery. From the Mediterranean to the Alps. Seafood and beautiful shores. What use he would have had for the Appalachians (hills by comparison) or the Rockys when he had the Alps.
Did I mention good food?

Honestly, I've often wondered why we don't see more Italian names in Colonial and Early American history. My father's side of the family came here only 3 generations ago, from Sicily.
But, mom's family has been here since the 1600's, long enough to obscure who is actually from where, given that people often didn't come here straight from their native country.
Are there more Italians than we think? Names adjusted to fit in?

I wish you luck in your quest, and hope if you find what you seek that you will post it here.
I also wonder of maybe any "mountain man" in the Rockys of Italian extraction would have come north from Spanish held areas, instead of from the "English" east?

vintovka

MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My grandparents emigrated in 1910 as Sicily was a mess and had been that way from before 1308 when family records began. Also surprised that no records of Italian mountain men exist when French ones seem plentiful.

Brokennock

70 Cal.
Reaction score
My grandparents emigrated in 1910 as Sicily was a mess and had been that way from before 1308 when family records began. Also surprised that no records of Italian mountain men exist when French ones seem plentiful.
But the French had played a predominant role, along with the English, on this continent for 200 years by the time of the Rocky Mountain "mountain men." They had already been pushing further and further west, trapping and trading, in Canada there eh'.

Reactions: smo

vintovka

MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Sicily was so wonderful back then. I like the stories about knocking all the stone fences down to less than a meter so bad guys couldn't hide behind them and jump out with sawed off rifles and shotguns. Was at the shot show and one of Pedsersoli's showed me one of their very short barreled ML shotguns. I said "lupara" and he said yes with a big smile!!!.

Rifleman1776

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Somewhat "tongue in cheek."
Why would Italians come here, from colonial times until the new world was well established and economics were better here?
I mean we had good food, good culture, and beautiful scenery. From the Mediterranean to the Alps. Seafood and beautiful shores. What use he would have had for the Appalachians (hills by comparison) or the Rockys when he had the Alps.
Did I mention good food?

Honestly, I've often wondered why we don't see more Italian names in Colonial and Early American history. My father's side of the family came here only 3 generations ago, from Sicily.
But, mom's family has been here since the 1600's, long enough to obscure who is actually from where, given that people often didn't come here straight from their native country.
Are there more Italians than we think? Names adjusted to fit in?

I wish you luck in your quest, and hope if you find what you seek that you will post it here.
I also wonder of maybe any "mountain man" in the Rockys of Italian extraction would have come north from Spanish held areas, instead of from the "English" east?
Good post. History is easily muddled. My parental side of the family (Fusco) came to the U.S. from Argentina after a long stay there. Oral history says they left Itlay (Naples area) for political reasons. A book on family history written by a distant cousin narrates two first cousins (with same last names, Fusco) marrying and later moving to Argentina. On the maternal side the family moved from France to Germany then to England (for political reasons, and, yes, it does run in the family) (over a period of centuries). On moving from Germany to England they changed the name from Cassell to Risley to avoid detection by whomever wanted their heads. Later they moved to Canada and mated up with more Frenchmen and Blackfoot indians. Track that history accurately. Ain't easy.

vintovka

MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am the last of the 100% Sicilians in my family. The name ends with me. 100% Sicilian means I'm 100% mutt from every nation and sub continent that ever visited, conquered, sailed past or otherwise spent time on the island since time began. Against my advice that there are things you should NOT know several family members had their DNA tested. The results were shocking due to our Heinz 57 varieties. Also found "cousins" who "weren't" (and unknown ones that "were"} to boot.)

Last edited: