• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interesting how our forefather's handled goods of a lesser quality ....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner

40 Cal
Reaction score
I find it interesting how our forefather's handled goods of a lesser quality.

See the example be low - Henry Leman was a thinker, CONESTOGA RIFLE WORKS.

LEMAN, Henry E.— Also Leaman. E. Walnut & N. Duke Sts., Lancaster, Pa. Son of H. E. Leman. Born at Lancaster, March 8, 1812. Learned the gun making trade under Melchoir Fordney from about 1828 to 1831, from 1831 to 1834 was with Geo. W. Tryon, rifle maker of Philadelphia. Henry E. Leman established his own rifle making plant in Lancaster in 1834, manufacturing largely for the Indian trade. Obtained his first government contract on Nov. 7, 1837, for 500 rifles for Indians at $14.00 each. On Feb. 8, 1842, Henry Leman undertook to make 500 Northwest guns for the Indian Department at $7.00 each, duration to May 1, 1843. Leman also did considerable work altering arms from flint to percussion. Also later during the Civil War made sharpshooter telescope rifles. Henry E. Leman died in 1887.
CONESTOGA RIFLE WORKS
Trademark of Henry E. Leman, Lancaster, Pa., 1834-1887; used on inferior or flawed products. Marking reported on flintlock and percussion Kentucky rifles, rifle locks, trap gun.

It is all relative, I had an original Conestoga rifle once and it was a well built rifle, nice architecture and tight inletting. Leman built a lot of rifles and I see more than my share since I live right next to Lancaster, simple, rugged, and well built is what comes to mind when I think of his guns.

We have had a number of Lemans and Conestoga rifles throughtout the years, have sold just about everything now. The trouble with collecting if your kids aren't interested, then it was a waste of time and money. There goes generations of interests and collecting, these kids today seem to have no interest in what we were raised with. Sad ..... :confused:

This thread is about, " I find it interesting how our forefather's handled goods of a lesser quality. "

It is not about kids in modern times. It is not about speech. It is not about anti-gunners.

Please post things that relate to the original post.

Thank you.

I think inferior is a state of mind in this case.
Just thinking about English made NWG, they were ‘inferior’ to a gentleman’s Fowling gun, but the barrel had to past the same proofs that the gentleman’s gun did.
A fine lock by Egg or Barret was ‘dainty’ compared to the almost military trade gun locks, still it was a sure fire lock. So made cheaper a NWG was still a safe to shoot solid reliable gun.
Leman turned out a good solid made gun. He might cut some corners like using trade gun pipes instead of heavier pipes on most rifles. Then went for things like artificial stripes.
It wasn’t a Hawken of a Derringer but still a reliable functional rifle.
One has to look close to tell a Leman made NWG from an HBC one.

Just think of the many companies in our time who make varying quality levels of certain items. Even contemporary firearm manufacturers sell guns under different model numbers or names to meet certain market needs.

Back