• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interesting detail on vintage half stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking at half stock rifles for inspiration and came across this rather plain Massachusetts gun from around 1840-50. Does anyone else notice the fore does not have a cap, but rather has the distinct appearance of a whale's head? (It also has a wood rib, common on early New England half stocks.)
1632875674234.jpg
20210929_213333.jpg

Is it yours now? It is always interesting to me to see an original rifle that doesn't conform to the schools or standards that we have set in these later years. It's been my theory for a long time that there were a lot of rifles made by unknown and maybe backwoods folks that have not survived that would be really interesting if we could see and handle them today. The rifle you posted is one of these for sure if it is not signed by the maker.

Is it yours now? It is always interesting to me to see an original rifle that doesn't conform to the schools or standards that we have set in these later years. It's been my theory for a long time that there were a lot of rifles made by unknown and maybe backwoods folks that have not survived that would be really interesting if we could see and handle them today. The rifle you posted is one of these for sure if it is not signed by the maker.
I wish it was mine. Only the lock is marked.

Back