• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interested in getting into Muzzle loading and am looking to learn more.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoutetDisplay

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all, I am from Ontario Canada and have always been interested in musket related warfare since I visited Fort Niagara and seen some civil war grave sites nearby of which was an amazing experience for my younger self. Since then I've been in contact with other larger collectors and have been attempting to start a small collection of my own. I have not had the time to do much research besides the basics, and am hoping to learn more from all of you. Best Wishes!

Welcome from Florida. Try to get revolvers if possible, sometimes they
are sold on the forum. The UK, Canada and other places do not recognize the
right of self defense, In a pinch, the percussion revolvers can be major
force multipliers. Especially as a house gun in the night. Check your laws.
Black powder guns are mainly regulated by increasing the hurdles to
buy them. Many states are regulating them to some degree. Welcome
aboard, but whatever is legal now--buy it in plenty.

Welcome from Texas! This is one of the best places on-line to learn about muzzleloading. I recommend that you read Ned Robert's book "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle". It's one of the most comprehensive and interesting reads on muzzleloading IMO.

Well Im'e not sure if arming for a civil war was what you had in mind!. Welcome anyway its not all ' gung ho' on this forum . Boutet ? as in Nickcolas Noel Boutet? . Now theres a gunmakers name to conjure with. I once owned one by him put to cap and for his shops probably just a standard ' Best 'gun they only made best guns as a start point . However there are many aspects and depths of skill & knowledge on these forums .so read on and welcome from NZ .
Regards Rudyard

Well Im'e not sure if arming for a civil war was what you had in mind!. Welcome anyway its not all ' gung ho' on this forum . Boutet ? as in Nickcolas Noel Boutet? . Now theres a gunmakers name to conjure with. I once owned one by him put to cap and for his shops probably just a standard ' Best 'gun they only made best guns as a start point . However there are many aspects and depths of skill & knowledge on these forums .so read on and welcome from NZ .
Regards Rud

Haha thank you it seems like a wonderful community, and yes you are dead on the money. One of the larger collectors I've been in contact with specifies in Boutet related firearms and has been what i consider my mentor for awhile now. I have been helping him do research since he is much older and does not use the internet. He has quite the collection related to Nicholas, as well as a few other beautiful pieces.

Hello all, I am from Ontario Canada and have always been interested in musket related warfare since I visited Fort Niagara and seen some civil war grave sites nearby of which was an amazing experience for my younger self. Since then I've been in contact with other larger collectors and have been attempting to start a small collection of my own. I have not had the time to do much research besides the basics, and am hoping to learn more from all of you. Best Wishes!
This will help you get started if you enjoy cap guns:

If you prefer flintlocks, this one should help you get started:

welcome

welcome to the hobby! as regards the legal aspects, contact an attorney (not sure what they're called in your part of the world ... barristers? solicitors? ... we just call 'em lawyers) ... be skeptical of what the cops tell you, and be dismissive of what you read 'on line.'

there are plenty of good videos on the 'web' about muzzle loading, but be skeptical of wild claims, or someone who pretends that he is the one truth sayer in a sea of liars ... such people, in my experience, are just looking for an ego boost. if it sounds too good to be true...
powder supply can be sketchy, so stock up if you can ... the stuff has an indefinite shelf life... i have 45 year old powder that's simply been kept dry and cool and i am confident that when i get around to it, this stuff will go bang with no problem.

lead has become very hard to come by (if you cast your own) so when you find a source, get all you can.

wish i had had this forum when i started out...

best of luck, and Make Good Smoke :)

Haha thank you it seems like a wonderful community, and yes you are dead on the money. One of the larger collectors I've been in contact with specifies in Boutet related firearms and has been what i consider my mentor for awhile now. I have been helping him do research since he is much older and does not use the internet. He has quite the collection related to Nicholas, as well as a few other beautiful pieces.
My how interesting The work of the Boutet shops in the Galleries at Versailes if I spelt that right .I only had that one it went to Peter Birt who did work for the Rotunda was into French arms mostly Swords it had multy grouve rifleing shortish about the ueual 28" swamped Brl 54 ish cal from memory with the semi pistol hand and copius silver dots and decoration . Bit gingerbread for my tastes but very nice rifle how it got here ? no idea it came stuffed into a golf stick bag !.. .I can see some getting to Ontario . only fellow I know in your area was Ted Girodats & Dave Appleby who made guns and was trying to turn out Baker rifles but think he got a better paying job armourer to the OPP. Then there was Barney Cove & other worthies who used to go the F ship & R vous Bear Forchete ? Dennis & The artists name escapes me But he bought a pistol l made a Kennedy parts affair getting old memory tends to fail on names can see his face .Oh well Pleased you are finding these forums interesting its all sorts of levels Ricksie may know of Boutet.s he is a very discerning collector & 'Student of Arms".
Regards Rudyard

Back