• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interchangeable parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At what time in history did the US start using interchangeable parts in their military guns? I learned as a kid that Eli Whitney came up with the idea, but don't remember when it became standardized. I suppose it was a trickle-down process, so I'm not looking for the first interchangeable gun was invented, just when it became commonplace.

Hi Gene,

Under the criteria you mentioned, it was the Model 1841 Percussion "Common Rifle" that we know commonly today as the "Mississippi Rifle," due to its use in the Mexican War by Jefferson Davis and his Mississippi Regiment, the 1st Mississippi Rifles.

They were working on interchangeable parts at the same time for the M 1840 Flintlock Musket, but did not achieve true interchangeability until after the Model 1841 Rifle was in production. The Model 1842 Percussion Musket was the first U.S. (Smooth bore) Musket made entirely on the Interchangeable Parts System from the very beginning of manufacture.

Gus

Last edited:
Back