• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Interchangeable barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imacfrog

50 caliber
Reaction score
This might be a rather ignorant question or maybe it will be enlightening but here goes. Is it possible to interchange barrels on TC rifles? Example could a 45 cal barrel be substituted for my 50? If so how much of a range is possible? 32-???! If this is not doable, I apologize for my ignorance and wasting your time but I am here to learn. Thanks!

If you want to swap barrels you have to make sure that the measurement across the flats is the same, otherwise a more narrower barrel won't fit into your existing stock very well.

As long as the barrel is the same size across the flats I don`t see why not. The guy I bought my T/C 50cal flinter off had a 45cal barrel for it as well, Unfortunatly at the time I didn`t have the funds for both barrels.

Newbie here, so by flats you mean one of the “sides” of the octagon barrel?

Well, for the 45 and 50 caliber Thompson Center Hawken rifles, the barrels are 15/16" across the flats. For a time there were aftermarket barrels in calibers from 32 to 54 that would "drop in" a T/C Hawken. These instant barrel swap barrels can be found from time to time. Track of the Wolf is also offering some T/C compatible barrels that can drop in. In inventory supply would have to be verified by a phone call. Replacement barrels often have deep grooves and may not be suitable for conical bullets.

I have barrels of .40 (green mountain drop in for balls), .45, and .50 for my TC Hawken. The Renegade uses a larger outside dimension barrel. Yes, 15/16" across the flats for the Hawken. I am thinking about getting a round ball .54 from Track but it is on a way back burner right now. I think TC only made .45 and .50 for the Hawken. GM barrels extend the range a little. The 32 inch long .40 caliber barrel is pretty darn heavy.

My original Renegade (1" across the flats) was a .50 caliber. Over time, I managed to get a .32, .36, .45, .54, .56SB, and .58 barrels for it. It is a very versatile gun from squirrels & rabbits, to the biggest big game found in North America.

When I bought my Hawken this versatility was not considered but I’m liking it more and more! Thanks for all your comments.

You can get pretty much whatever calibres you want in drop-ins. The only problem I have found is that the smaller the calibre; the greater the front-end weight. To some degree, front-heavy adds to stability, at least for a few shots. The problem comes in if you aren't trained up like King Kong, and all those tiny balancing/hold-still muscles get a bit tired. As that happens, the pin-point accuracy and rock-like hold go out the window. OK for hunting, but not so cool for long trail or match shooting where you aren't allowed a rested shot.

I agree with flintlokr 100%. The 32 caliber barrel I had for my Renegade was too heavy for hunting purposes. The barrel weighed over 6# alone. I set that barrel up for bench rest target shooting where it really shined, giving me dime sized groups at 50 yards.

I have barrels of .40 (green mountain drop in for balls), .45, and .50 for my TC Hawken. The Renegade uses a larger outside dimension barrel. Yes, 15/16" across the flats for the Hawken. I am thinking about getting a round ball .54 from Track but it is on a way back burner right now. I think TC only made .45 and .50 for the Hawken. GM barrels extend the range a little. The 32 inch long .40 caliber barrel is pretty darn heavy.
Get it relined. Bob Hoyt in Gettysburg Pa. Can make it into a 50 cal.

This might be a rather ignorant question or maybe it will be enlightening but here goes. Is it possible to interchange barrels on TC rifles? Example could a 45 cal barrel be substituted for my 50? If so how much of a range is possible? 32-???! If this is not doable, I apologize for my ignorance and wasting your time but I am here to learn. Thanks!
So far I have a .40, a couple .45’s, a .50, .54 and .58 in the 15/16” t/c’s. And you’re not wasting anyone’s time here, this is about the most knowledgeable crew on the internet and they’ve always been eager to share their knowledge.

Back