• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Intentional delayed fire using serpentine powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I never knew that with old serpentine powder, if you for instance squished down the powder with your thumb, then it will delay the fire.
So, he says, they could touch the match, and then there was still time to shoulder the gun and fire.
10:30 into this video.

He also states that mashing serpentine powder with thumb will make it stick to the pan. So in primitive gonnes without pan covers, the powder would not just blow or fall away from the dish indentation which was around the touch hole, which was on top of the barrel.
He said you could even turn the gun upside down or carry the gun around, and then turn it back upright and the dish would still be full.
I have never mixed up any serpentine myself and don't know anything about it, except what I've read.

I never knew that with old serpentine powder, if you for instance squished down the powder with your thumb, then it will delay the fire.
So, he says, they could touch the match, and then there was still time to shoulder the gun and fire.
10:30 into this video.

When I take my handgonne to the range I use a short piece of slow cannon fuse. Gives me time to get a good grip and aim it.
A 75 cal with a sizeable load needs a good grip.

Back