• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Installing Trigger Assembly Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a trigger plate.bar assembly for a Fusil de Chasse (Pecatonica) that I am unsure of how to best install it.
It has a plate with a "drum" on it that I am assuming gets drilled and tapped to receive the barrel tand screw.
My question is:
1) Do I pre-drill (and tap) the trigger assembly part before installing it into the stock, and then try to drill the barrel tang screw down into it?
2) Install the trigger assembly first and then drill the tang hole down into the 'drum" ?
3) Do I drill/tap all the way through or only partially down into the drum?
or,
4) Chuck it and get a simpler one to install?

I am attaching some pics to show what I am working with.
Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• trigger 1.jpg
    trigger 1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 39
  • trigger 2.jpg
    trigger 2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 46
  • trigger 3.jpg
    trigger 3.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 43
On the Fusil de Chasse, does the screw meet the trigger plate at 90 degrees? My colonial longrifle screw intercepted the trigger plate at an angle.
Tang Screw.jpg

Agree #2. I've not done one with that drum but you could use a jig to drill down through the tang, wood and part way into that drum.
PXL_20210923_154137123.jpg

Good advice above. However everyone has different skill levels. One safe way to do this is to drill from the tang through the stock where the trigger plate will be and then inlet the trigger plate with the boss centered on that drilled hole as best you could. Additionally I would file the top of the boss such that the tap drill would hit it at 90 degrees and not want to skate off. Drill slowly with the trigger plate in place.

just saw Hatchet Jack’s post with picture. Great setup but be sure to drill a little simple in the trigger plate to rest securely on the centering bolt.

If I am understanding correctly, this is what steps that would be used.

I have long center drill of small diameter that would be used, but a twist drill could work also. Would set the tang and stock up to drill, so exit hole thru stock is where you want the boss to be. Drill size would be same as center drill. Flip stock over and align using the center drill in the exit hole in stock and secure stock. Drill hole of proper diameter and depth for the boss. Go ahead and inlet trigger bar and then flip stock over again and position stock using center drill thru tang and secure. Center drill the boss and drill tap size hole the depth you feel is enough to tap. Then drill tang out proper size for screw being used. Sounds like a lot but puts you in the tang where you wish and also center in the boss. Well just another way to skin a cat.

Good advice above. However everyone has different skill levels. One safe way to do this is to drill from the tang through the stock where the trigger plate will be and then inlet the trigger plate with the boss centered on that drilled hole as best you could. Additionally I would file the top of the boss such that the tap drill would hit it at 90 degrees and not want to skate off. Drill slowly with the trigger plate in place.

just saw Hatchet Jack’s post with picture. Great setup but be sure to drill a little simple in the trigger plate to rest securely on the centering bolt.
Thanks Rich- That is a good point you made about filing the top of the boss flat first. The thing about this kit is that the mortise for the trigger assembly is already cot so I will have to install it in first. Not too much wiggle room which scares me but I think the boss/ drum is big enough to tolerate any slight misalignment. I have the drill jug from Robert Bogg and it’s really good. Like everything I just need to prepare everything carefully and as you said drill slow.
And Take a deep breath.

Agree #2. I've not done one with that drum but you could use a jig to drill down through the tang, wood and part way into that drum.
View attachment 121111
Hi Hatchet Jack- nice set-up! I have a jig that I will use with that same design. It’s good to know from the proper method to go about this. Thanks!!

Success! I followed your suggestions and the trigger assemble install went perfectly :thumb:
I fit the thing into the mortise after dressing it up a little. Then I drilled a small hole on the bottom of the plate directly under the center of the drum. I eyeballed a line up to the barrel tang and, butterflies and all, made a small hole where the top should be.
I attached the Robert Boggs drilling jig and drilled the tapping hole all the way through the tang and the trigger plate. (I went through the plate to see where the bit would come out. Right on the spot! I then re-drilled a larger hole until the bit touched the drum and next I tapped the trigger plate.
The moment of truth and I pushed the bolt down and it lined-up and threaded into the plate perfectly. Then I drilled a counter-sink hole in the tang and job done.
Thank you everyone for your excellent advise on this one!!!

Attachments

• trigger 4.jpg
    trigger 4.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 35
  • trigger 5.jpg
    trigger 5.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 34
  • trigger 7.jpg
    trigger 7.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 34
  • trigger 8.jpg
    trigger 8.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 36
Success! I followed your suggestions and the trigger assemble install went perfectly :thumb:
I fit the thing into the mortise after dressing it up a little. Then I drilled a small hole on the bottom of the plate directly under the center of the drum. I eyeballed a line up to the barrel tang and, butterflies and all, made a small hole where the top should be.
I attached the Robert Boggs drilling jig and drilled the tapping hole all the way through the tang and the trigger plate. (I went through the plate to see where the bit would come out. Right on the spot! I then re-drilled a larger hole until the bit touched the drum and next I tapped the trigger plate.
The moment of truth and I pushed the bolt down and it lined-up and threaded into the plate perfectly. Then I drilled a counter-sink hole in the tang and job done.
Thank you everyone for your excellent advise on this one!!!
A job well done!

Looks like he provides a correct trigger plate with his kits, I couldn't find a correct English fowler trigger plate that had an off set slot and was shaped correctly. I had some of the guys here post pictures of the trigger plates on original guns, grabbed my file and went to work.

trigger plate layout.jpg

Done;

trigger plate inletted.jpg

Back