• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Installing Action Shields?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your not running competition do you really need the shields? The rake I get just for convenience but the shield? If you get one I would say get them both, but as a casual plinker like me I don’t see it.
DL
"Need?" No. But if you've ever had a cap frag ruin your plans at the range, you'll realize it's cheap insurance. Once a cap frag worked down into the guts of my 2nd Dragoon and got wedged somewhere so when I pulled the hammer back to full cock and let go of the hammer spur...it slammed home and the gun went off. Scared the snot out of me and put the ball in the dirt six feet in front of me. I could have easily earned the nickname "3 Toes" that day...fortunately, no harm was done. I was able to (carefully holding the muzzle downrange at the targets) duplicate this 2 more times until the gun was empty, after which I cased it and used an alternate. When I disassembled the gun expecting to find a broken sear or hammer notch, a big, fat cap frag fell out. Reassembly found everything in perfect working order.
So, do you really need an action shield? No, but....just sayin'.

The reason for foregoing the cap rake is that I don't particularly like the idea of drilling into the frame, even if the hole is really small. Only the hammer, a readily replaceable component requires any cutting and drilling, something with which I'm more comfortable.

I feel the same way. Which is why I had the Goon do mine.

Do you need an action shield? Well, the shield is a really nice convenience! Do you need air conditioning? You may never get a cap or fragments past the cap post so what's the use? Every time you fire, some blowback through the nipple follows the front of your hammer directly into the frame. If there's a shield in place, that's where the fouling stops. Do you shoot in windy areas where dirt / sand gets blown around (such as a desert )? If you've thought about packing your frame with M1, would a cover from the elements help keep the grease cleaner (do you put the lid back on your can of grease?)

I guess like everything thing else, there is a need if it makes sense or adds value or a certain amount of protection.

TrapperDude, if your revolver is a Pietta, then yes, there is contact of the arbor with the bottom of the arbor hole. If it's any other reproduction then no. Therefore, there's no reason for the barrel /cyl clearance to open up. That's the whole point of "the fix" so it is the same (and doesn't move ) from shot to shot.

Mike
20211202_144334.jpg

Here's what a shield looks like installed on the hammer for an unmentionable.

Last edited:
TrapperDude, if your revolver is a Pietta, then yes, there is contact of the arbor with the bottom of the arbor hole. If it's any other reproduction then no. Therefore, there's no reason for the barrel /cyl clearance to open up. That's the whole point of "the fix" so it is the same (and doesn't move ) from shot to shot.

Mike
That thing won't be moving a single bit. When I first pulled the wedge, I thought I'd need to tap on something with my rubber Malloy because it was so thoroughly held together. Its parts are solidly matched!

So, can you install the action shield if I just send in the hammer, or do you need the whole revolver?

Back