• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Install Steel Bit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Owl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Some years back I bought a brass pipe ax. It is a poor pipe and a poor ax. In any event there are a few of these that have had a steel bit added. The bit is often dovetailed in place. I am wondering if I should try such a modification. I would make some sort of filing jig but even then I might just mess things up. Has anyone done such a thing and how did it work out?

It looks cool but pipe tomahawks as said above are not for chopping. The challenge is to file the dovetail and the bit perfectly flat. That’s very hard to do. Easy to end up with bad gaps. In general I’d make the steel blade minimally thinner than peen the brass till it binds in place, then file both to match.

Thanks to all- my big concern was if I could ever dovetail the thing and get a good fit. Well somebody else's Christmas present.

1676036706638.jpeg
1676036706638.jpeg

This is one I did many years ago. Have not had any trouble with it as concerns the bit. The eye is not tapered so I put a wedge in the top of the handle to keep it tight. It smokes just fine also.

Such was a weapon and not a tool. Smaking a human body it’s unlikely to deform even if used on the head. Using it to butcher an animal also would probably be safe. Chopping wood enough to see you through a cold night, or just building a shelter is another story.

Back