• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inspiration !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
0F2D5AF3-4733-49EE-B2C1-ECAEA7BCE8AE.jpeg

81D7EF1B-9403-4A43-ABE0-810FBEE35E50.jpeg

Well after seeing the threads posted by Jerry and others here of their various winter projects, you Guys kindled a fire under this ole boy.

First off , I’m not a bag builder, nor do I claim too be.

But I do like too “piddle around in the shop” and make my own gear.

I’ve made a few bags along the way, but after seeing the finger weaving
strap thread , I just had too give it a try.

After all we have had 12” of rainfall here in Tn already this new year.

I ‘ve had this bag cut out for a few years now....
Did I say, I was a procrastinator ... lol

Anyway, it’s a pattern I pulled out of my TC Albert book for a double pouch that I have enlarged somewhat too allow easy enter for my big paw and took a few liberties with.

Then instead of stitching I went with lacing , and I chose too go with my first finger woven strap.

It’s a 24 strand weave out of hemp cordage.

I measured the strands 7’long initially and wound up with a 5 ‘ long weave.

The woven strap is secured too the bag by 2 leather tongs thru the weave then tied on the inside of the bag.

Thanks again Guys for the inspiration and help, it’s been a long time since deer season closed and the waters been way too high to fish.lol

Last edited:
Nice. It looks like it would be tedious making a strap like that. About how long did it take you?

It didn’t really take that long too make......

After I once got the hang of it.

The strap could have been completed quicker if I didn’t have
to unravel it several times during my learning curve! LOL

Learning the correct way too control the loose cordage and getting my fingers to move in the right direction was the hard part.
Smaller hands and fingers would be a plus I would think.

Nice work on that strap. Maybe post a pic with something in it for scale reference. I thought it was a change purse size bag with a huge strap until I read your entire description, lol.

View attachment 4923

View attachment 4924

Well after seeing the threads posted by Jerry and others here of their various winter projects, you Guys kindled a fire under this ole boy.

First off , I’m not a bag builder, nor do I claim too be.

But I do like too “piddle around in the shop” and make my own gear.

I’ve made a few bags along the way, but after seeing the finger weaving
strap thread , I just had too give it a try.

After all we have had 12” of rainfall here in Tn already this new year.

I ‘ve had this bag cut out for a few years now....
Did I say, I was a procrastinator ... lol

Anyway, it’s a pattern I pulled out of my TC Albert book for a double pouch that I have enlarged somewhat too allow easy enter for my big paw and took a few liberties with.

Then instead of stitching I went with lacing , and I chose too go with my first finger woven strap.

It’s a 24 strand weave out of hemp cordage.

I measured the strands 7’long initially and wound up with a 5 ‘ long weave.

The woven strap is secured too the bag by 2 leather tongs thru the weave then tied on the inside of the bag.

Thanks again Guys for the inspiration and help, it’s been a long time since deer season closed and the waters been way too high to fish.lol
SMO,
Great job on the bag project!!
I salute you on the strap, Jerry is quite the inspiration but although I bought the hemp cordage I haven't attempted the weaving just yet!
Will this be a shooting pouch?

The Sicilian

Back