• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Inspecting the inside of barrels...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys, I have a borescope for mechanical work. It is will not work for inspecting inside ML barrels. I also have a cheap borescope that attaches to the end of a flashlight. It will not do the trick either. Can someone give me some pointers on where to get a lower cost borescope that will work for inspecting inside ML barrels. I do not want to purchase another one that will not do the job.

Thank you.

Try ebay or Amazon. I spent $70 and it really works good. Very sharp. I have to tell you though, you might not want to see. I bought a Oiiwak because they make really expensive pro ones. 10' lead. I didn't want that long but it is what they have.
David

Thanks for the replies so far. The mechanics borescope I have is a somewhat spendy Teslong. Its unfortunate that it does not work for the purpose of ML barrel inspection.

Guys, I have a borescope for mechanical work. It is will not work for inspecting inside ML barrels. I also have a cheap borescope that attaches to the end of a flashlight. It will not do the trick either. Can someone give me some pointers on where to get a lower cost borescope that will work for inspecting inside ML barrels. I do not want to purchase another one that will not do the job.

Thank you.

Yes I just ordered one of these. I have an old scope that works for muskets, but it's too big for rifles. 5.5mm bore scope It will work off my cell phone, but not sure if it works off all sell phones

LD

Okay, some good ideas so far. But I can't help but wonder if just a bore light of some sort that is small enough to bend down through the nipple channel/flash hole wouldn't work. I see lots of for sale ML pics where people stick a light down that way and then look down from the muzzle?

I think those lights are small diameter and dropped through the muzzle.

If I were buying a house, would I want to look through the windows from the outside, or would I want to go in and walk around and look? Just my simplistic thoughts.

I think those lights are small diameter and dropped through the muzzle.

If I were buying a house, would I want to look through the windows from the outside, or would I want to go in and walk around and look? Just my simplistic thoughts.
Could be but it certainly looks like some of the pics are looking from the muzzle, but I could be wrong.

Could be but it certainly looks like some of the pics are looking from the muzzle, but I could be wrong.
Yes sir, they are looking from the muzzle. The light is turned on and dropped in the muzzle with the illuminated end looking out of the muzzle. The light drops to the breech and illuminates the bore. Then just tip the muzzle down and the light slides out.

Someone please correct me if this is wrong.

Long link but these will do the job.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1750439782...IJzcR8AGIJ0PIs748nOaoxsw==|tkp:Bk9SR9btl_mwYQ

Here is an image from one of eBay $10 scopes as seen on my computer (I don't have a smart phone). I had two of these, the second one wasn't quite as clear as the first one but would still show you what you needed to know.

large barrel.JPG

Then I bought a $50 Teslong, it definitely shows you stuff you don't want to see.

My nephew's GPR that I tried to clean up so he could shoot it.

wes hawken.jpg

A good bore Teslong pic.

Kibler bore.jpg

Forward looking Teslong at a breech plug on a fowler instead of a side view like the above pictures.

fowler breech.jpg

Long link but these will do the job.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1750439782...IJzcR8AGIJ0PIs748nOaoxsw==|tkp:Bk9SR9btl_mwYQ

Here is an image from one of eBay $10 scopes as seen on my computer (I don't have a smart phone). I had two of these, the second one wasn't quite as clear as the first one but would still show you what you needed to know.

View attachment 187873

Then I bought a $50 Teslong, it definitely shows you stuff you don't want to see.

My nephew's GPR that I tried to clean up so he could shoot it.

View attachment 187874

A good bore Teslong pic.

View attachment 187875

Forward looking Teslong at a breech plug on a fowler instead of a side view like the above pictures.

View attachment 187876
The top pic is from a borescope definitely inserted from the muzzle. Mine will do that somewhat well. But others do not appear to be inserted from the muzzle. I'll see if I can pull one up.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/t-c-new-englander.156865/#post-2230130

Back