• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inquiring minds don'cha'know.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now I've never owned a musket of the smoothie variety, 'cept fer a T/C N.E. shotgun and thet ain't a proper musket.
It seems ta me they'd be eay to clean and reload.
now the questions.
What musket do you guys own?
calibers? Powder charges? How heavy is the ball?
is the ball cloth patched?
Explain the accuracy.
Not "i kin hit a mouse in the arse at 100 paces" either, or "I once blew a Sears catalog outa the outside privey at 4 feet", I want measured groups at known yardage.
I.E. "I get one hole 5 shot groups at 110 yards :bull:" and so on.
Thank you.
Regards,
Maxi

I shoot the .75 caliber Brown Bess musket...

I run both .715 round ball with a .020 pillow tick patch lubed with #13 or a .735 round ball and a .015 patch, (not at the same time) over 60 to 150 grains of FFg, depending on my mood and powder supply...

The round ball weighs 545 grains and packs enough energy at 30 yards to split a 8 inch diameter green maple log lengthwise, I have done this many times to show the power of this musket...

What a fun way to split fire wood... :winking: ::

I get one hole, one shot group at 50 yards, now two or more shot groups, that's a different story... :haha:

I can hit things with it out to 75 yards, (my limitations, not the musket's) beyond that, things are in the gray zone, so I don't try...

If you ever find a musket that shoots as good as, or better than a rifle, hang on to it...

For the most part, muskets are super easy to clean and maintain, plus you have the added advantage of using shot as well as round balls, or even bullets in some cases...

They have made .69 caliber minie-balls before, what a chunk of lead that was... :winking:

The only smoothbored rifle (sights) I've owned was .44 made from seamless tubing. It was a fine barrel, very smooth and exceptionally easy cleaning.
: At 50yds. it would hold a 4" group. At 100yds. I never shot it -HA!- Sorry - It also shot 1/2ounce of #8's beautifully with card wad on powder, fiber wad(OX YOKE Lubed), then shot, then thin card wad.
: I have shot considerably, a .20 bore smoothie (original) that wasn't too smooth. with that one, we could hold 5" at 20yds. and about twice that at 50, but beyond that it was terrible.
: Newly barreled with a Golerane(sp) barrel, we could make a one hole, 5 shot group at 25yds. of about 2". It would hold 4" at 50yds. and 10" at 100yds.
: This accuracy matches the first 'Bess' brother Taylor had, an Eye-tie musket with a good barrel. This barrel didnt shoot in-line at first, so it was taken off the stock, and 'bent' in the proper directon between the box and cab of a pick-me-up truck till it did. This is the musket my bro shot his first ML moose with - at 100yds.using a .735 ball(620gr.) and denim patch in the .75 cal.
: His 'new' 'Bess, made by himself shoots better than the eye-tie, but also had to be 'bent' to shoot straight to the front sight. It will hold 7" to 8" at 100yds. off the bags. This barrel was 'set'(bent) using shot bags and a lead hammer. He uses the same .735 mould for this gun and denim patch. HE can shoot it to an easy 5" or 6" at 75yds. due mainly to his 3" offhand groups with a rifle at 100yds. Bloody guy was the national champion several times when competing that way- & is an excellent flintlock shot- as good as with percussion. I'm not.
: With a better 'indicator' at the breech (or sights) a well made musket will surprise you. The larger the bore, the more accurately they shoot, barrel quality being equal.(weight and interior surface) Thicker barrels shoot better than thin musket-type barrels, generally. This is why there are so many of the original 'penn rifles still around that are large bored and smooth rather than rifled. They do shoot well at ranges most game is shot. I've been killing Moose in B.C. for 30 years now and have never had to shoot in excess of 100yds, well within the range of a good, large-bored, smoothbore - sights or not.
: Taylor made up a 1" bored (5 bore- almost 4) underhammer 2 1/2" across the flats smooth-rifle for a guy. We could hold in 3' all day at 300meters with it. That is something smaller bores can't do. The 200 gr. powder charge and 1,400gr. ball carried well. This gun weighed 51 lbs. It didn't kick hard, but moved you back 1' each time you shot it. That gun seemed to move a yard of dirt when those big balls hit. SPLAAAT! It's funny, when testing, we only shot it at 300yds, no closer - odd, now that I think of it, but then, that's what the flintock Wall Guns were for and they also were smooth.
; Hope this helps convince you to get a smoothie. They're a blast, within their effective range, which can surprise you.
; BTW- the .69 minnie came about ATER the US Ordnace started rifling the old muskets with three grouves, progressive depth.
Daryl

1842 Springfield by Armi Sport, .69 cal.
I feel lucky to place five shots out of six in an eight inch paper plate at 70 yards. The grouping gets tighter at 50. I shoot a lubed roundball .690 with no patch. 80 grains of Goex ff. This is a dirty gun. Takes more swabs to clean than any of my rifled guns. I also shoot #4 and #6 shot with a overpowder card, Blue-Gray wadding and a thin overshot card. This is my first "moothboar" so I am still learning. I will take a deer with it this next season.

I shoot a .62 fusil and it will shoot with a rifle out to 50 yards, at 75 yards the lack of rifling shows (still accurate enough to take a deer), at 100 yards I can hit the target mere or less, at 150 yards the safest place it is behind the target, at 200 yards an elephant would be safe.
using shot at 30 yards its hell on turkeys. The gun is easy to clean as there is no rifling to catch the crud. I resisted smoothbores for a long time, but now that I have one I am convinced that they are the hot setup.

As far as being the "HOT" setup- this was also the feeling amongst trappers, farmers and general western traveller AFTER approximately 1820. Up until that time, the rifle was the preferred weapon. They found that night guard duty was much safer if a charge of from 12 to 15 buckshot was loaded in the common musket, let alone the best for night duty, the side by side double. Many shots fired during the night at 'prowling wolves' revealed dead Indians in the morning. Buck and ball was also a mainstay suing the government ctgs. with .65 ball and 3 buskshot- probably 000, buckshot.
: Today, Hornady sells .35 balls as 000. In the 70's triple Ought was .36 cal., same as Special SG, while standard SSG was .32 in dia.
Daryl

Here's to the scatter gun, in the low light conditions of dusk, night and dawn, it reigns supreme...

Just point and shoot, no fine bead required when you launch a dozen .32 caliber balls at a target...

This is why the shotgun is still one of the top choises for home defence, even to this day...

Here's to the scatter gun, in the low light conditions of dusk, night and dawn, it reigns supreme...

Just point and shoot, no fine bead required when you launch a dozen .32 caliber balls at a target...

This is why the shotgun is still one of the top choises for home defence, even to this day...

Musketman:
You betcha the shotgun is a top choice for defense.
I did 22 years as an L.E.O. (retired as Lt. in charge of S.W.A.T.) and I was "expert" with the riot gun Rem. 870.
One can do some serious social interaction with a 14" barreled shorty. Really grabs the attention don'cha'know? ::

A shotgun speaks louder to a crowd than a rifle or pistol, that's because a scattergun is indiscrete...

Latest posts

Back