• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inletting my lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkloos

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recieved my Bedford and have been working on it, and have gotten to the point where I am ready to inlet the lock (its already inlet mostly, like the normal kits) but even when the lock internals are completely inside the mortise, the pan is still about a 1/4 inch away from the barrel. How can I solve this? Its bugging me.

It shouldn't, but each gun is different. Maybe the sear-bar hole is not deep enough, but be careful deepening this hole as you can blow out the other side. The front lock bolt can be a problem with the ram rod hole, but the rod can be tapered to fit. I end up slathering the entire lock internals with inletting black and checking for interference. Any which way, the lock bolster/pan needs to bottom out against the barrel. Can you post pictures??

The lock should fit evenly aong your barrel and have no gap for powder to fill in behind your lock.

Also keep studying the angle of your lock panel. Slightly wider at the rear is correct.

CS

I'm going to cover the business side of the lock with lamp black tomorrow, and see where it is interfering, because at this point I am clueless. Ill keep everyone updated! :v

Have you removed the internal parts and made sure that the plate itself fits the mortise and the lug is up against the barrel? Once that fits start adding pieces back and fit each one as you go. Lots of lamp black will help.

I agree with TimbuckII, while it is probably over simplification of the problem, start with the basic - a stripped plate and add pieces as you go just as if you were inletting without the factory mortise. Any other way can be confusing and lead to irreparable damage.

Well, luckily the lamp black helped alot. I have the space from the pan to the barrel cut to about 1/8 of an inch from eachother, and will continue working on it later today until they are right up against eachother. Thanks everyone!

Back