• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inletting Black

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1942farmall

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Can this be made or where does one acquire it?
Getting ready to inlet a brass buttplate on a Kentucky stock per another post I saw.
All I can seem to find in Prussian blue and am afraid it might stain the stock wood.
Thanks

Can this be made or where does one acquire it?
Getting ready to inlet a brass buttplate on a Kentucky stock per another post I saw.
All I can seem to find in Prussian blue and am afraid it might stain the stock wood.
Thanks
I have always used Prussian Blue and never had a problem,Cheaper then the Inletting Black.
Last time I saw Inletting Black was from Dixons Muzzleloader Shop in PA, they do mail order also and they may even be on eBay.
Look up Jerrows Inletting Black,At the Log Cabin Shop

Last edited:
I've just used plain old used motor oil, applied with a brush for over 150 guns. A bit hard to see on maple, but dandy for walnut. You can mix some acrylic artist paint in for color.

Cheap lip stick from wallyworld
I used to use carbon black.
Collect it by playing a candle flame on an inverted saucer, or such, then mix in a little oil to suit.
Much cheaper than buying it.
But nowadays I use cheap lipstick, it’s convenient, and clean to use; plus if your wife finds lipstick on your shirt collar you have a ready, and legitimate, excuse.

Jarrow's inlet black is the nastiest substance known to man. It will get ALL OVER EVERYTHING. Horrible.

I use whatever dry pigment I have handy (umber, sienna, charcoal black, etc), mixed with some paint thinner to make it sort of a paste, and smear it on. Marks nicely, and when the paint thinner evaporates, it just leaves the dry pigment, which can just about be brushed away. No greasy kid's stuff.

Using a black marker will work in some instances, like inletting small lock parts. But wouldn't do that great for inletting a barrel.

It's Jerrows inletting black, not Jarrows.

I still have the same small container of inletting black, and I'm on my 5th kit build. It lasts a long time and goes a long way..
tempImagebbJPHD.jpg

Lately I’ve been using either lipstick, Sharpie marker or lamp black. If you use lipstick or inletting black, use VERY little.

I don't remember how it's spelled. Last time I bought it was 30 years ago. Nasty stuff.

;)

Walmart sells a mosquito oil lamp for $5 and a bottle of oil is about $8. It will soot up a part faster than you can say it.

Latest posts

Back