• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inletting black

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it goes everywhere and Louis wanted to see what I was doing and tracked it everywhere before I could move him or clear the workspace.

I still have it soaked into my fingers after throwing out all the rags, q-tips, and wood chips.

IMG_2277.JPG

Louis obviously wanted to help. Maybe he has gunstocking genes. I've used Jerrow's inletting black for 50+ years. 90% Alcohol seems to break it down well and doesn't stink the shop up for 24 hrs. , either.

Wiping it down will grind it in to the stock. Use scrapers to remove that very thin layer with the black on it. Because of the greasy nature of it, years ago I switched to using lamp black soot as my "go to" method fo blackening. It cleans up easier, at least for me. But others certainly use it with a fair degree of success and don't have the problems I've had.

I have no been able to find decent hand soaps lately. Dawn dish soap with powdered borax cleans hands really well. I work the slurry with a green scotchbright as used for dishes.

There a products called "invisble glove" and "hand shield" . Those are used like lotion before how get your hands dirty. They cut down on the amount of dirt to wash off later.

Sounds like you may be using too much inletting black. Yes, use scrapers to clean up the stock.

I still have it soaked into my fingers after throwing out all the rags, q-tips, and wood chips.

You shouldn't use any of those things for inleting black. Get an empty soup can and a cheap acid brush, barely dip the tip of the brush in the inletting black jar and then vigorously brush most of it off on the bottom of the can, freshen up the brush as needed from the bottom of the can. That one tiny dip that barely touches the top surface of your jar of inletting black that's brushed off on the bottom of the can will last you a day or more of building depending on what you're doing.

Save the can and keep it on your bench, store the brush in it when not in use.

IF you use a solvent to "clean the wood" the blue color will soak into the grain. You will have a Smurf stock.

I use big fat markers for most of my inletting. The marker color is pressure sensitive. IT will not show false high spots bases on light contact. IT is also not messy.

I swiped one of the wife's tube of lipstick. Bright red transfers well and with the use of scrapers and chisels, the red is gone.
Then there was the day my grand daughter walked into my shop, saw the tube of lipstick and exclaimed "Granddad, why do you have lipstick?" 🤭

I swiped one of the wife's tube of lipstick. Bright red transfers well and with the use of scrapers and chisels, the red is gone.
Then there was the day my grand daughter walked into my shop, saw the tube of lipstick and exclaimed "Granddad, why do you have lipstick?" 🤭

So you had some 'splainin' to do huh?........What were you wearing at the time?

Got that weird look from my grand daughter and wife when they saw the bright orange nail polish on my loading bench!!

Use it to mark projectiles with different loads for testing.......really...

Don

Got that weird look from my grand daughter and wife when they saw the bright orange nail polish on my loading bench!!

Use it to mark projectiles with different loads for testing.......really...

Don

Works great on front sights for us old folks with tired eyes.:thumb:

Back