• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inletting a Pistol Buttcap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've started work on a Chambers pistol kit. I have not built a pistol before, only long guns.

Ready to start on the inlet of the buttcap and looking for any tips. I have no problem inletting parts I can put a draft on and lay on a flat surface, but a buttcap seems quite a different beast. Maybe it is not. Here's a couple pictures...the butt of the pistol is "as received." Quite a hack job.

Here's the inlet as received. The tang portion is WAY too wide, but I think I need to remove a lot of wood in that area anyway.

39660081212_e772049489_k.jpg

Here's a side view. One reason I say I need to remove a lot of wood is that from the pictures of originals that I looked at, they seem to have nearly the same width all the way down the buttstock, not the large "flair" the unworked stock has:

27912575359_67fdd11549_k.jpg

So my first step was going to be to get the buttstock shape much closer to and even width. That will take quite a bit of wood right off that bad tang inlet and I'll be virtually starting with a clean slate in that area. Then I can start the inlet...but of course I cannot just "lay" the buttcap down and mark it.

How does one go about inletting this piece? I assume I have to start working the tang of the buttcap "up" the buttstock little by little and then last, as it works into place, finish off the mating surface between the edge of the "cap" and the wood. ??? Tips and tricks welcome!

Have inletted a number of these.
That wood on the base needs to removed. Only the edges of the cap contact the wood
Pt me and I will try to work u through it.

Get your trigger in there first. The reach from the grip to the trigger is a far more critical measurement to have "right" in a pistol than on a rifle. It's the back of the grip in the web / palm area that determines the reach. If you set your grip and cap before that's done you may not like what you have to do to the rest of the grip to make it fit you hand right.

In many ways it's just like a long gun. You do the lock before the trigger, and THEN you do your comb height and inlet the butt plate.

Looks tough, been there dome that. I just do a little here and a little there and then use bedding compound to fit any mistakes- not the right way.
What about buying a second buttcap and sawing it in 2 side to side and using that to fit the thing?

Latest posts

Back