• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

inlays

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
need help with inlays on a lyman deer stalker. got them inlet in the stock.. should i use 2 part epoxy. on them?? restaining the stock.. going with LMF american walnut .. thanks micahel

I confess.
I've used 2 part epoxy to glue in some of the inlays I've installed on the rifles I built.

That said, the bond between the epoxy and the inlay is only as good as the bond joint so I think it needs all the help it can get if it is going to last for years.

To improve the bond I use a file by sliding the teeth on the corner in a direction that is parallel with the teeth so that it leaves deep scratches, or some I use a sharp pointed awl to scratch a bunch of lines on the back side of the inlay, leaving all of the sharp corners and raised metal that doing this makes.

I then totally degrease the surface with automotive disk brake cleaner to remove all traces of grease or oil from the surface. Then, I apply just enough epoxy to lightly cover the total surface and press the inlay into place.

The inlays I did 25 years ago are still holding with none of them coming loose.
Franklin.jpg

There are over 25 inlays on this Franklin rifle.

Some were held in with small screws, as seen on early 1800s guns in Massachusetts. Others were held by brads with hidden heads. If you look at my profile pic, all 6 stars have one, and the eagle has 5. Here's how I made them, using #18 brass brads (for brass inlays):

1) drill a hole in a piece of steel the diameter of the brads. Flare the hole with a larger drill bit to add a countersink as big in diameter as the brad heads
2) place brad in the hole, peen the head into the countersink to fill it
3) drill and countersink a hole in your inlay, drill a smaller pilot hole in the wood itself
4) cut the brad shorter if needed, 3/8" to 1/2" is plenty long; cut diagonally to give it a pointed tip
5) drive brad into inlay and fill countersinkb gently peen a bit if needed
6) file head flush with inlay, polish up with fine sandpaper

If done right, the brads will be virtually invisible. Here's a hunter's star done the same way.
20190730_191755.jpg

Depending on the thickness of the inlay {might be too thin to do what follows}, you could take a small, triangular needle file and file a groove into the edge in a few places....that will lock it in w/ the epoxy....Fred

going with 2 part epoxy.. a few places is a little bigger then the inlay.. filled it in with wood glue and saw dust..

Latest posts

Back