• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Inlay recommendations for idiots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 41% silver content silver solder, nice and stiff to make silver nails out of. Will leave the heads exposed like attached picture. Which is not my gun, incase you was wondering...
1632303120958.jpeg

Hi all....Looking for recommendations on first inlay projects...
I am slowly picking away at my Kibler Colonial. I am happy to keep it simple with out any carvings, etc. thinking its beautiful lines speak for itself, but as more time goes on, I would really like to give it a simple appropriate inlay. I have always been partial to the hunters moon, or a simple hunters star.
A couple questions....First, was it ever done to pin a piece without inlaying it? I seem to recall having seen some pieces done as such, but how common was it? can it look decent and appropriate?
2nd, If inlayed, are there particular designs that are easier/more forgiving for a novice to tackle? Of course, the smart thing to do is to get a design and practice first, of course.

Thanks for any thoughts
I'm a novice builder, 3 guns so far, but I think if you take your time and trace the design closely you'll be able to inlay it without any problems, use sharp tools!

Back