• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Inkle loom

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skypilot39b

36 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, I just built one, I've done one strap, you can clearly see which end I started with and which end I had learned a few things on by the time I got there. Any tips, tricks, or observations to help me get started?

I think the biggest thing I had to learn was how many strands it took to come out with the width of strap I wanted. It varies with the yarn and the amount of tension you put on as you make each pass with the shuttle, but it helps to get into the habit of keeping good notes.

I started by reading this book, "Inkle Weaving" by Helene Bress ISBN 0-684-13870-0 lots of good information.
Here is a very good site to go to,helps beyond belief. www.carolingianrealm.info then go to the upper left side "Miscellany" select it and your on your way.

Practice, practice, practice. That will help you get your tension correct and your edges even.

Wool can be a pain to weave with. The fibers do tend to grab onto themselves and stick, making it difficult to open the shed to pass your warp.

have fun!

it's not pretty, but it works

40619311041_290c495948_z.jpg

Tallswife said:
Practice, practice, practice. That will help you get your tension correct and your edges even.

Wool can be a pain to weave with. The fibers do tend to grab onto themselves and stick, making it difficult to open the shed to pass your warp.

have fun!

I've started with cotton. It's working well, it is a challenge to figure out what the tension should be, but like I said it definitely got better from the beginning to the end of the first attempt I made. I'm learnin' :grin:

use the same color thread on the paddle as the end threads. it'll look better and hide the ends.

TraprMike said:
use the same color thread on the paddle as the end threads. it'll look better and hide the ends.
yup, I already came to that concluson...Here's the photo of the two ends of the first attempt. I did make some improvement

26752121608_0ef2713fee_z.jpg

I heard of someone weaving the yarn about Captain Kirk as he heddles for parts unknown, warping off in the Enterprise, while a Klingon Bird of Pray loomed in the distance. Spock was weft behind, under great tension in the shuttle.

That in a nutshell, is the limit of my knowledge about weaving. :rotf:

Have fun folks. :thumbsup:

LIVE LONG, AND PROSPER

Live Long, and Prosper.
Ancient Vulcan Greeting

Peace and Long Life
Traditional response to the Ancient Vulcan Greeting

Eat SǶț, and die
Traditional NYC Cab Driver response to many conversations.

Wait...., :hijacked: ...., sorry,..., we now return you to Inkle Weaving....

LD

Zonie said:
I heard of someone weaving the yarn about Captain Kirk as he heddles for parts unknown, warping off in the Enterprise, while a Klingon Bird of Pray loomed in the distance. Spock was weft behind, under great tension in the shuttle.

That in a nutshell, is the limit of my knowledge about weaving. :rotf:

Have fun folks. :thumbsup:

you may have won the interwebs with this one.....

Zonie said:
"He who would pun would pick a pocket."

Spence

You said "it's not pretty, but it works". Au contrare mon ami. You did a masterful job of building it. It is beautiful! I have one that I built, it is not as masterful a job as yours but it, too, is quite functional and I have used it to make several straps, belts and sashes. The more you make, the better you will become. The strap that you have on your loom looks to be a well made one. I see nothing wrong with it.

Back