• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inherited Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My grandfather passed away and in addition to about 10 other guns (all of which I knew about and have fired before) I inherited this muzzleloader I didn't even know he had. It looks old but I don't know much about muzzleloaders and my research hasn't turned up much. I've seen similar guns but no exact matches. I'm attaching pictures. Heres hoping somebody can help me identify it.

Attachments

• 20200505_234306.jpg
    20200505_234306.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 20200505_234314.jpg
    20200505_234314.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 20200505_234339.jpg
    20200505_234339.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 20200505_234321.jpg
    20200505_234321.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 255
Umm it's a CVA percussion gun, probably made in the 1970s or 80s. What are you unsure of about it?

The 'writing', actually stamping on the barrel, is the current Spanish Proof House markings denoting a working test pressure of 700Kp/sq.cm - 700 KiloPascals per square centimeter. Compulsory marks under international CIP laws.

This equates to 9956 psi. Meh, nothing too hot about that for a .50cal muzzleloader.

The shield stamp is the coat of arms of the city of Eibar, where it was made, in the Basque Country of NE Spain. The three 'stacked' circles denote Definitive BP proof. Also compulsory marks under international CIP laws.

...and the problem is?

Last edited:
A friend had one of those when they first came out. From what I recall, the rear sight and trigger guard were different. Those can be changed from the original. It should be a good rifle.

i would use .490 round balls, pillow ticking for patches, a good patch lube, and start with about 50 grains of FFFG black powder. You’ll need some caps too. Don’t forget a short starter. Take it out when you get a chance and enjoy it. :cool:

Back in 2010 a friend of mine bought one of these at an auction we were both attending, and bear in mind that here in UK you HAVE to have not only 'rifle' but the caliibre on your FAC before you can bid for it. It was in .50cal, BTW.

It was BNIB, so we can't imagine why it hadn't been bought in the store, or if privately-owned, why the previous owner hadn't even cleaned it up from the protective gloop. He ended up paying £75 plus VAT and auction commission - still under £100 - and it was, folks, drop-dead gorgeous in the wood. Fast-forward to the week before we closed our ranges here, and he was shooting it. Three-inch, ten-shot off-the-elbow groups at 50m...although he DOES favour the fake powder stuff.

Sometimes he even lets ME shoot it.

I also inherited an Italian-made Hawken (sold by Cabelas) that had a rusted out .50 barrel. My dear old uncle bought it years ago to use as a wall hanger. I bought a Green Mountain .45 caliber (66” twist) drop-in barrel and mounted a Lyman 57 rear and Lyman 17 front sight. I could feel my uncle smiling down on me when I first shot it. It’s going to be fun!

I also inherited an Italian-made Hawken (sold by Cabelas) that had a rusted out .50 barrel. My dear old uncle bought it years ago to use as a wall hanger. I bought a Green Mountain .45 caliber (66” twist) drop-in barrel and mounted a Lyman 57 rear and Lyman 17 front sight. I could feel my uncle smiling down on me when I first shot it. It’s going to be fun!
Don't throw that old 50 barrel away. Send it to Bobby Hoyt and have it re-worked to a .54. Then you will have 2 rifles for a minimal cost.

Hi. I can help you, since I live in Spain. It is a rifle manufactured by DIKAR in Bergara (Guipúzcoa), Spain, for the CVA company. As it bears the M2 mark, it means that it was manufactured and tested at the Test Bank of the city of Eibar in 1993. Tested at 700 kilopond per square centimeter, which is the Spanish test for muzzleloading black powder guns. Greetings from Spain.

Grizz is right, get the other barrel 'freshed out', you won't regret it. My Browning wears a .50 for paper, tin cans, and Rondy, with a .56 for hunting. But Grizz left out, you only have to learn the one rifle, not two rifles (hold, weight, balance, trigger, etc.) Not to mention, you can regulate the sights to hit the same spot for each barrel! Easier that way, same powder, patch, just different balls and measure, for me. Tinhorn

Back