• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Inherited Cool Rifle But Have No Clue...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danimal107

32 Cal
Reaction score
My dad was a big muzzleloader. I inherited this rifle from him and I have no clue what it is or its value. I am thinking of selling it and have no clue where to start. So here I am hoping some of you experienced folk are up to lend a helping hand on what this is and what its worth.

The only markings on it are "W. P. Rush - Fecit" and I can't find a single thing about what this is and who made it. I do know it's a .50 cal but thats it.

Thanks in advance... I'd be happy to post more pics or detailed video if needed, you can also reach me at 773-372-9109

Daniel

Attachments

• IMG_6747.jpeg
    IMG_6747.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_6748.jpeg
    IMG_6748.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_6749.jpeg
    IMG_6749.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_6750.jpeg
    IMG_6750.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_6751.jpeg
    IMG_6751.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_6752.jpeg
    IMG_6752.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 509
Beautiful rifle. I can't tell you much about it, but several of the learned gents will likely be along with answers.

Sure is purdy Fecit = he/she made (it) —used on an artwork (such as a painting, sculpture, engraving, or building) to identify its creator

My dad was a big muzzleloader. I inherited this rifle from him and I have no clue what it is or its value. I am thinking of selling it and have no clue where to start. So here I am hoping some of you experienced folk are up to lend a helping hand on what this is and what its worth.

The only markings on it are "W. P. Rush - Fecit" and I can't find a single thing about what this is and who made it. I do know it's a .50 cal but thats it.

Thanks in advance... I'd be happy to post more pics or detailed video if needed, you can also reach me at 773-372-9109

Daniel
Maybe a short Virginia rifle?

Daniel
Nice-looking rifle, but do I see rust to the point of pitting on the top of the barrel near the signature? I hope the bore doesn't look like that. Was the gun stored properly?

Barrel is nice. Zero rust or issues. I can post pics later if anyone is that interested... Not sure why there is some pitting on the outside in a few places. I know for the last 43 years I've been alive the rifle has been stored in a climate controlled safe with oil on it. I have no clue prior to that. I don't know when my dad got it or what the condition was when he did. I am guessing he has owned it for at least 55+ years.

Nice-looking rifle, but do I see rust to the point of pitting on the top of the barrel near the signature? I hope the bore doesn't look like that. Was the gun stored properly?
That might be an applied patina you're looking at. My Virginia has an applied patina that kinda gives it an aged semi-rusted appearance.

aat-003_5.jpg

I have told many people that the gift that can last for many lifetimes is a firearm.. you give a car and in a few years it is worn out or just junk. money gets spent, jewelry gets lost. Many years ago i went to a widows home she was moving and getting rid of her husbands guns. i bought a mauser rifle 600 6mm hollow point bullets and a bunch of stuff all for $30. she had a remington varmint rifle with an external adjustment scope i could have had for almost nothing. she said her husband had enjoyed them and wanted someone else to have the same enjoyment. just about that time her 12 year old son came in the room and i said what about him?? maybe he would enjoy having his dads rifle. she said i am moving back east and dont think i can take it. i told her to pack it and the moving company could ship it for her. this was in the early 70's and it was legal for sure then. anyway she put the rifle in the closet and i left. i hope the next guy through the door didnt talk her out of it. but i couldnt bring myself to deprive his son that rifle. i spent my entire working life from age 21 till i went on disability with Prudential insurance as an agent and manager and have given the same advice many times.

but darn that remington was nice and i would have loved to have it. but not that way

I totally agree with Captjoel above - for me, the giveaway is the lock, apart from the utterly pristine appearance of the woodwork, that is. Notwithstanding that, it is a most beautiful short rifle that I would love to own, however, here in UK it is classed exactly like any other modern firearm.

A lot of my rifles, both BP and semi modern, were gifted to me by old friends, I keep and use them in memory of them. I would not have taken that rifle under those circumstances either. I remember an old family friend who ran Higgs's Sports Store in Bendigo Victoria, from the 30's to the 70's. When ever an old mate died, the widow was straight to his store to hock the old blokes fishing rods, bowls sets and any firearms. I may have all mine buried with me if necessary.

Vent liners were not often found in the average gun, but were a firmly-established feature of guns of higher class manufacture in the era of flintlocks and percussion arms. I shoot - on occasions - a very nice English flintlock fowling piece from the late 1700's which has had a vent liner fitted to it at some time - impossible to say when though.

Appreciate everyones response to keep it because it was my dads... This was my original plan. But unfortunately I can never shoot guns again due to some major nerve damage in my ears that is getting progressively worse. If I continue to shoot guns I will soon be completely deaf. So I am selling my collection and taking the money from my fathers pieces to buy a watch I can wear and remember him that way. I don't have kids or siblings that would possibly have kids, and I will never have kids. I thought about keeping it to display somewhere in the house but thats not my style so the rifle is getting sold...

Last edited:
Anyone have a guesstimate value...??? I have no clue what to ask...

I thought about putting it on gunbroker as an open auction. But I don't know the best way to list it so the right people will find the auction...

Last edited:
Anyone have a guesstimate value...??? I have no clue what to ask...
Unfortunately your guess is a good as mine considering it's a custom repo. My first thought was it's a super modified Kentucky kit but that wouldn't make sense cost wise. From what I can tell it has many of the hallmarks of a Virginia flintlock but is too short. Maybe check with Track of the Wolf, see what they say.

Unfortunately your guess is a good as mine considering it's a custom repo. My first thought was it's a super modified Kentucky kit but that wouldn't make sense cost wise. From what I can tell it has many of the hallmarks of a Virginia flintlock but is too short. Maybe check with Track of the Wolf, see what they say.
Great, thanks for the advice... I will contact them.

Back