• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Information

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a layman GPR 54 caliber 160 twists ther fist model that came out, can I use the Federal Premium B.O.R. Lock MZ 50 caliber 270-grain Trophy copper bullet and get good performance out of them?

May have stabilization problems, only way to know for sure is to shoot a few groups, but 1:60 is more appropriate for round ball

I have a layman GPR 54 caliber 160 twists ther fist model that came out, can I use the Federal Premium B.O.R. Lock MZ 50 caliber 270-grain Trophy copper bullet and get good performance out of them?
Why?
It's a muzzleloader. Use roundball, the twist is right for them,,,, and they have worked for centuries.

Why do folks get muzzleloaders then try to turn them into modern magnumitis machines? 🙄😑

As above thats a round ball gun. The fact is conicals of any sort don’t significantly change the effectiveness of the gun in the field. An elk won’t be any more dead when it got a conical through the lights as opposed to a ball.
In military operations the conical worked out to three hundred yards. But…. Military doesn’t care if it produces a quick clean kill or not, as long as it removes the man who is a threat.
For hunting we want dead and quickly dead, and ml will not deliver that at long range.
Out west on plains you might see hunters go a hundred and fifty yards with a ml. East there are few places to see game with a clear shot that far.
A .530 rb on a 90 grain charge will pass through moose or black bear at a hundred yards. On paper it has less energy then a 30-30 but creates a devastating wound channel. It turns ribs to shattered glass, vertebrae the same, and can blow brain mater thirty yards past the hit. Save your self some pennies, pour a round ball and you will make all the meat you can eat

Latest posts

Back