• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Information wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redleg105

32 Cal
Reaction score
NitWit said I placed it in the wrong place so it's here now
I would like to know if the Taylors cleaning patches work well for cleaning after shooting Black or Pyrodex or do I stick with hotwater and soap? Thank you

Never tried them. I use patches cut from old T-shirts with warm water and a drop or two of dish soap followed by rinse, WD-40 to displace any water left after a few dry patches and finish up with Barricade or 3 in 1 oil. Typically I check back in a week or two with a patch and inspection and re apply oil or barricade if any evidence of rust. I almost never find anything unless it has been extremely wet or humid.

NitWit said I placed it in the wrong place so it's here now
I would like to know if the Taylors cleaning patches work well for cleaning after shooting Black or Pyrodex or do I stick with hotwater and soap? Thank you
Anything you buy for cleaning other than water and a cut up t-shirt is a waste of money. Pretty much anything wet will clean up Blackpowder residue. Will what you’re talking about work? Yes. Will it work better than plain ol water? No. It’s all marketing to get you to empty your wallet.

A friend describes cake as a vehicle for the delivery of frosting. You could say something similar of patches. A patch lets you deliver solvents and lubes to places you could not otherwise reach and can only see with difficulty. It also will bring forth undesirable material from those places. Thereby telling you of your progress.
A patch should be properly sized for your bore. It needs the assistance of a rod and jags. Sometimes it may want the assistance of a brush. All that said, I am not sure why any one of the reputable brands should be any better than any other. I generally use Hoppes as they are the most readily available locally.
Generally my old tshirts are already at Goodwill when I go looking to wear one. :(

I don't see anything that says Taylor's patches are pre-treated, so I'm assuming they're a plain cotton patch. They should work fine with a cleaning solvent of your choice.
I may be (based on all the cut-up t shirt replies) one of the few, but I use precut cleaning patches. Usually from Midway USA or whatever is on sale when I need them. Something like $8 for 1000 makes them less than a penny each. It's convenient and works for me.

Latest posts

Back