• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED Information About Shipping Costs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lots of variables here but for an example i shipped 2 out last week from MT to FL both in wooden crates insured for 1200 each. cost was $55 per rifle via UPS ground. insurance being the biggest factor in my experience but i always build a wooden crate to ship to protect from gorillas.
I made the mistake of telling UPS that the rifle I was shipping was one of a kind. They didn't want to ship it until I said another just like it could be made so it wasn't unique.

Oversize (48.1"+) adds 15 then theres DAS, Fuel surcharges, Home delivery, pickup, insurance, weight and ultimatey how far its going. Can add signature, saturday service and a host of other charges. DAS ( Delivery Area Surcharge) can hit you hard. Commecial ground is cheapest, USPS is a PITA.

As an FFL, shipping handguns via USPS is a no brainer, “if it fits it ships”. I do not ship long guns through the Post Office. Slooooow. I just received a Pedersoli Kentucky Flinter from Flintlocks Etc. in Mass, shipped to me in Virginia for $39. Took over 10 days. First class. I like shipping FedEx. If you ship frequently you can open an account with FedEx and get a discount on every shipment.

Patriot

Walmart sells a hard plastic gun case for about $10.00. I have shipped a couple guns in those. I also buy two matching padlocks to put on the case and mail one to the recipient. The case also gets secured with stout tape. Easier and cheaper than buying specialized cardboard boxes from UPS or others.

Should have said USPS is a PITA for long arms. The flat rate servive is good but the insurance is expensive. Also Some counter gestapo types immediately know what it is and start balking (or making up rules).

The following is a long but hopefully informative rant about shipping. Been shipping tons of stuff due to my obligation to liquidate an old friends estate to help with medical bills. It is an enormous task but right thing to do. After tired of scrounging boxes from gun shops i broke down had a large custom run of heavy cardboard boxes made. They are 51"x7"x4" work well for most items. Shipping any longer items safely is a challenge altho we can slip one box over another to accommodate. I carefully bubble wrap each item and tape them securely with good 3M shipping tape. A stiff cardboard wrap securely taped around the lock , bolt or actaion parts helps keep them from punching thru box. Removing delicate hammers frizzens, bolts ect and packing separately (and securely taped to item) is advised if your really woried. Expensive long ones get a 1.5" x .5" full length doug fir "slat" (or two) added to keep shipping gorillas at bay. We double wrap the item and then tape on the "slat (s)" to add rigidity. The "slat" weight is really negligible but the added rigidity (and peace of mind) is great. Box ends are heavily padded and securely taped. I Always take pics of item before and after wrapping for insurance protection. It works, beleive me. The buyer is also warned to use extreme care in unwrapping lest they use a razor and try to blame us for the damage. We have over 100 boxes left is anyone is interested.

Im about to recieve an access heritage long trade gun. I have to do the smithing on it cuz the kid im sending it to cant. I own the same rifle, so no problem putting a hole in side. This kid never has had a muzzle loader, we met in trapping forum. Cost of shipping... priceless.
Unique situation, but he be joining us soon... new or been in it 50 yrs... you will always learn something here

And that's the quandary. The kind of protection shown above is exactly what's needed to ensure a safe delivery. It also broadcasts 'firearm'. UPS and other shippers have teams dedicated to reducing theft among its employees, particualrly of firearms. I know this because I've had the occasion to work with one of them to recover a missing rifle.
Alll shippers include a measure of risk of your package being lost or damaged. That's just the way it is. Wood crating a M/L rifle makes sense in mitigating at least one of the risks due to damage
UPS would not accept a package that shape from me. They said it was too obvious it held a gun.

And that's the quandary. The kind of protection shown above is exactly what's needed to ensure a safe delivery. It also broadcasts 'firearm'. UPS and other shippers have teams dedicated to reducing theft among its employees, particualrly of firearms. I know this because I've had the occasion to work with one of them to recover a missing rifle.
Alll shippers include a measure of risk of your package being lost or damaged. That's just the way it is. Wood crating a M/L rifle makes sense in mitigating at least one of the risks due to damage

That is all true, but every custom gunmaker ships them exactly like that, including Kibler and all his kits. There's just no way around it for it's best chance to arrive safely. I put 'FRAGILE: GLASS TUBING' and often 'ATTN: ENGINEERING DEPT' in stencil, and that's the best I can do as far as diverting attention. As to UPS, just ship it USPS.

Maybe i missed it but Isn't there a substantial extra charge for unusual shaped shipments? Also aren't 4x7x48 thru 52" cardboard long gun boxes are shipped by tens of thousands everyday? Most are obvious rifles.

UPS would not accept a package that shape from me. They said it was too obvious it held a gun.
Sounds like a ‘local’ regulation. Have shipped and received similar shaped packages through USPS, UPS and FedEx. Yes they had guns or gun components in them, but without X-ray vision or opening the package, who but the shipper knows exactly what is in it.

Maybe i missed it but Isn't there a substantial extra charge for unusual shaped shipments? Also aren't 4x7x48 thru 52" cardboard long gun boxes are shipped by tens of thousands everyday? Most are obvious rifles.

No, just a max Length x Girth size. Yep, BPMS was a postal worker and said boxes like this were very common. Millions of rifles and shotguns bought online every year.

Back