• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED Information About Shipping Costs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what it weighs, how you box it (dimensions), how much you insure it for, & where you ship it. If overall measurement of length, width, & depth exceed a certain total there is a surcharge, as well. There is no "average" when you have all the "variables" involved. The ones I have shipped this year ranged from $19 to $64.

lots of variables here but for an example i shipped 2 out last week from MT to FL both in wooden crates insured for 1200 each. cost was $55 per rifle via UPS ground. insurance being the biggest factor in my experience but i always build a wooden crate to ship to protect from gorillas.

That sounds about right to me. the last F/L rifle I bought was a custom by a fellow member. He too constructed a wooden crate to ship the gun, expensive at $78 but darn if that rifle didn't arrive safe and intact. Shipping a M/L rifle on the cheap could easily become a disaster.

lots of variables here but for an example i shipped 2 out last week from MT to FL both in wooden crates insured for 1200 each. cost was $55 per rifle via UPS ground. insurance being the biggest factor in my experience but i always build a wooden crate to ship to protect from gorillas.

What did it cost to build a wooded box?

JB, absolutely i received one from a guy in PA a couple weeks ago and he packed it horribly rifle arrived with a cracked stock. thankfully i paid for extra insurance but still haven't got that resolved and the worst part is the guy thinks he packed it good which aggravates me more than anything!! one reason i always build a wooden crate out of my own expense for piece of mind and i want it to arrive in the condition i sent it.

MSmith, it costs around 35 dollars in materials to build a wooden. i get a sheet of luan plywood, 1x4 boards and use 1" or 1 1/4" wood screws. i can get more than 1 crate out of the sheet of plywood so it probably costs a bit less than that

I saw that video Bob. That to me is the best way to ship one especially if its a custom gun. John Bergmann does that with his. Then he sends a UPS return label with his guns and you just send the empty wooden box back to him.

I normally do that too. I’ll give $40 off the gun and have them ship it back. Once I get 4-5 crates I just let folks keep them. Allen Martin builds his the same way but at max dimensions, which is something like using 1x6’s instead of 1x4’s for the frame. Lots of folks use the 1’ blue insulation foam you can get from HD in 4’x8’ sheets. Cut to fit the crate and stack them cutting out the shape of the gun. It’s more work but maybe a smidge safer.

I'm NOT as concerned about the cost as I am about it ACTUALLY getting there!!!?
I'm having parcels take as long as a month to get delivered. For what you pay, you'd think the USPS would treat people better on their service? In 5 days I've cancelled 3 orders that have taken 4+ weeks and there's NO idea where they even are?
God bless:
Two Feathers

Exactly why I wont pay with a USPS MO anymore. Takes 60 days to file a claim to get youre money back and they make you pay 5.00 to start that claim. They have lost 2 MO of mine. Its not the 5.00 its the idea of having to pay to make a claim.

Exactly why I wont pay with a USPS MO anymore. Takes 60 days to file a claim to get youre money back and they make you pay 5.00 to start that claim. They have lost 2 MO of mine. Its not the 5.00 its the idea of having to pay to make a claim.
BigAL52:
I DID NOT know that!??? I do know that if you ship something with insurance, the ONLY proof of insurance is the receipt, so don't lose it. Only ONE guy in our local PO actually told me that? I know it sounds simplistic and maybe a common practice, but that NEVER dawned on me until the guy here told me that. So your customer can't make a claim ONLY the shipper can, and from what I've been told by PO workers, the USPS takes great pride in the fact that they NEVER (or very seldom) pay out for a claim! I know a buddy of mine; who drives for UPS, told me that insurance for them is a joke. Even if you DID file a claim, you'll never see any results or money! Just a word of warning.
Two Feathers

BigAL52:
I DID NOT know that!??? I do know that if you ship something with insurance, the ONLY proof of insurance is the receipt, so don't lose it. Only ONE guy in our local PO actually told me that? I know it sounds simplistic and maybe a common practice, but that NEVER dawned on me until the guy here told me that. So your customer can't make a claim ONLY the shipper can, and from what I've been told by PO workers, the USPS takes great pride in the fact that they NEVER (or very seldom) pay out for a claim! I know a buddy of mine; who drives for UPS, told me that insurance for them is a joke. Even if you DID file a claim, you'll never see any results or money! Just a word of warning.
Two Feathers
Your info is wrong. I (the customer) filed a claim for a broken stock on a flint pistol. Private sale - seller sent me a copy of the receipt, I filed the claim and USPS paid me the full amount and let me keep the gun. I now have a lot item claim that is similar. I'm the recipient and I had to wait 15 days from the shipping date to file the claim and due to COVID issues they now need 60 days to process. I sent them a copy of the receipt - no issues other than the wait.

Back